My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
I remember seeing a guy that designed a frame type of construction and using rope suspension to hang his speakers from. If I remember correctly I saw this around 3 years ago but I don’t recall on which forum and of course now I cannot seem to locate anything about it. His design was open baffle and the baffle was isolated from the speakers by foam seals. The speaker was hanging from several ropes from both the top and sides of the speaker. The use of ropes from the top as well as the sides allowed him to align the speaker for mating with the baffle.

I have done a simple sketch to try and explain the concept but it is a quick effort on my part and you would need to adapt it for your individual use – if you used it at all.

Just some food for thought.

Attachments

• suspended woofer.gif
    suspended woofer.gif
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,129
Hi all,
Derek.

Derek – a short OT question.

Have you published polar measurements of your Manger horn somewhere?

You know - I am interested in that as the Manger does not release a "quasi plane" wave front into the horn due to its operating principle.
From scratch I would have thought that a horn is of no benefit of all – but you obviously prove the opposite.

Is there a link you could provide?

Michael

Manger horn measurements

Hi Michael,

I have not got the room set up to do a meaningful polar response at the moment.
Most of my lounge is the playground for my twin sons ( 2 yrs old) and 6 year old daughter...!
I can only easily do on axis 1 meter measurements and 3.5meter ( listening position) room measurements with the DEQX/Earthworks mic.
I have a friend who actually has a very good anechoic chamber and full driver/ speaker test and measurement facility.

I hope to get a day of his time in January and then I will have a full range of independent professional results.

I can tell you that my horn profile is based on a conical "plus a little bit" for the first three quarters of its length, then a large over round to provide a smooth curved exit.
190mm throat, 250mm length, 520mm maximum external width, 25Kg before driver and "zero contact" clamp.
Sensitivity is now up to an average of 95dB for 1 watt at 1 meter.
I am still experimenting as I am very encouraged ( delighted actually!)with the sound quality.
Much more detail and less effort to hear it, really big increase in dynamics, tremendous body and tactile feel with vocals, beautifully balanced with piano, it’s all just a bit too good...!
I think I can safely increase the horns length ( and corresponding mouth diameter) and get up to 98dB with no sonic nasties.

If all goes well this new design it will be the flagship which I use to launch "Rainforest Audio" ( see previous posts) and start saving some biodiversity as well as giving the public access to great speakers at not much more than DIY prices.....

Cheers

Derek.

Thanx Derek, I did a step visit to the "Manger driver" thread in the meantime - veeeery intriguing !

I'm really tempted to do a dipole horn for the manger - just to give it a try (neither money nor time though) - the best part is that seemingly you can cross ~ one or two octaves lower compared to an AMT - looking forward to the polars to come next year.

Michael

Last edited:
Manger magic

Hi Michael,

Yes the Manger is both technically fascinating and quite beguiling to listen to, but only above 300Hz with a absolutely top flight active crossover...!
Being able to crossover at 300Hz ( 200Hz if you don’t mind a max SPL limit of 100dB) is a great advantage.
I am also looking forward to the measurements of the finished speaker, almost as much as listening to it!

Stig Erik,

I forgot to reply to your suggestion of moving the 15' PD driver lower down the baffle.
The main reason its right up close to the base of the Manger horn is that the crossover is in the 300Hz to 400Hz ( depending on SPL / stereo music / multi Ch home cinema) and you can hear the gap in between the drivers if you lower it ie top end piano at head height and left hand piano at the floor and female vocals at realistic height, male vocals at knee height...!

Also that space below the 15' PD is reserved for the 15 Beyma or an 18' Precision Devices custom driver I am still working on the final spec for. It will be very special...
Re the floor bounce, I bought a couple of really thick wool loop rugs and lined the backs with carpet underlay and leather. They really are great absorbers even at frequencies as low as 200Hz to 300Hz, plus high WAF...!

Cheers

Derek.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I remember seeing a guy that designed a frame type of construction and using rope suspension to hang his speakers from

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Over on the open baffle section of Audio Circle. Who was that? Rudolf? Sash cord to hold the drivers in place. I can picture it....

EDIT: Oh, no it was Skorpion, of course!
Here's the link. http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40594.0

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yeah, yeah, yeah. Over on the open baffle section of Audio Circle. Who was that? Rudolf? Sash cord to hold the drivers in place. I can picture it....

Holy CRAP!!!!! How did i ever wind up over in that neck of the woods??? :eek: I don't even have a bookmark fer 'em :no:

But i think you're right Pano - thanks for the tip - guess I'll need to check it out

Joined 2006
Paid Member
That isn't the one I had in mind - The one I saw had a framework behind the baffle the the speakers hung from and the baffle got shoved up to the frame but was isolated from the frame and the speaker with soft open cell foam. Skorpion had a nice effort tho - something to think about.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
StigErik,

If you have access to Clas Ohlson then this might be worth testing:
Clas Ohlson Internetbutik - Allt för en enklare vardag .
Link looks a bit funny but works. :)

/Erling
Thanks for the tip Erling! I have a Clas Ohlson store nearby, will check it out.
You Swedes have brought us everything we need... Clas Ohlson, Biltema and IKEA. (you that are not Scandinavian will not understand this ... sorry)

By the way - I stopped by the Biltema store and got two 20" bicycle tire tubes. The work great under the H-baffles. The baffles float!

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Clas Ohlson is a store that has everything that a man needs, tools, hardware, electric stuff and a lot more.

I know you have IKEA over there - the first thing I saw from the airplane when landing at Newark one time was a big IKEA sign (maybe it was a store, I dont know).... welcome to Sweden... I mean the US. Funny that all the products have Scandinavian names all over the world... must sound strange most everywhere else than in Scandinavia.

Clas Ohlson is the only legendary printed catalog company still excisting in Sweden. It was founded already in 1918 and have had catalogs coming every year for the last 70-80 (?) years to the Swedish households. They brought technology to the rural man that not had acces to big city shops and competence.

From 1989 they have had a tremendous expansion by shops now all over Sweden, Norway, Finland and also five in the UK, so there is an English Home Page: Clas Ohlson and the Anti Vibration Mat I was talking of is here: Clas Ohlson .

Cheers/
Erling

No small deal, either :eek: for me.

So, rather than revolution, now I'm taking evolution first to see what happens.
:spin:

.... thought I slap together what I suggested and do some "revolution of rope & hot melt glue" and show some pix for inspiration ...
:D

PC040003.jpg

PC040010.jpg

PC040011.jpg

PC040012.jpg

a one hour work - plus shopping
:)
Michael

Last edited:
I have been following this thread for a bit.

Is this getting too tweaky?? Can you hear the difference without a baffle and a difference by hanging the H baffle woofer off the floor? I can understand going free air as a way to eliminate ANY vibration noise of a baffle. My question is, is it a truly audible difference, or are we splitting hairs now? The Micro vibrations of the H- baffle on the floor with felt pads, was that audible? By hanging the H-baffle, what do you gain? It will still vibrate a bit being suspended. I thought the way to offset this would be to add mass and density.

Kindly excuse my ignorance.

A general question to StigErik: Does the bass performance of you current system have the SPL's in the range of 35-120hz that is still, for a lack of a better term, "exciting?" Of course I understand it's not like a pair of 10's,12's, 15's, 18's in a sealed or vented box, but do you get the same "slam" effect?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.