My open baffle dipole with Beyma TPL-150

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I have a pair of questions about the TPL150.
If its used with a 12" down to 1000-1200hz and a sensitivity below 95db/1w are needed. are there any reason to use the H version?
Are the Aluminium version of the horn still aviable or are the plastic horn the only option?

There are three main reasons to use the H version
1. More LF extension
2. More controlled diretivity
3. Better efficiency

See the measurement below comparing the 150 with the 150H, both measured with no baffle. With a baffle, both of them will get more LF extension, but anyway you see the relative difference.

Attachments

• TPL-3.gif
    TPL-3.gif
    12.1 KB · Views: 1,467
Recently I've heard Maggie 1.7, which was nice but nowhere near the RD-75.

That is quite a statement! I had wondered about the "fullness" of the sound on the RD75... It appears to be quite an impressive driver. I wish I could come hear your system setup. It appears to be the result of some very extensive research and testing... The last part hopefully more fun than frustrating.

Beauty setup Erik!

Hey Erik, just read through the whole thread and am quite excited to try an RD75 setup like yours. I have GR Research Super-Vs but am interested in replacing the mids/top end with the RD75 and keeping the (stunning) dipole bass.

Question: have you listened to the Neo10 yet? How about the Neo3 as a tweeter? And/or the Raal ribbon tweeters?

I haven't been able to find any direct comparison between the Neo10+Neo3 or Neo10+Raal and the RD75. Just wondering if you had any advice here.

(Your RD75 setup is extremely attractive for ease of construction and simplicity. After spending a solid month building the Super-Vs from scratch, I'm not exactly jumping up and down to do another complex build!)

noviygera and heinz1964,

A double or line system will only time-align to one specific spatial point, at a certain distance and height. The bigger the distance between edges, the lower the comb-filtering begins.

A vertical line is used often, it has other benefits! You must decide what properties and problems you give and take!

Rec for midrange tweeter with a AE Dipole 15

Hi
I have the Acoustic Elegance Dipoles 15 in an open baffle and evalute to combine that with a Beyma TPL150H crossover at about 1000hz.

An alternative I read in this thread is the BG RD75.

All crossover and EQ will be made by the Acourate software.

The DAC will be a RME UCX.

Any recommendation for the midrange/tweeter unit. (3-way system may also be considered)

BR
Lars

Back in 2011, i was considering to try out a Bohlender & Graebener. I contacted the company, and they were interested to hand me over import and distribution of their products in brazil. The project did not go forward, because shipping was very expensive with FedEx or UPS. Now there are new possibilites, like Shipito warehouse in Torrance CA, where you can send products bought in the u.s., and they ship it all over the world with very reduced prices. And it can be choosen between various companies, like Fedex, UPS, and others. I already used the service, no complaints. So if someone is interested in a group buy, i can check with them again.

Angelo

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
I've had a few emails and discussions here and on other forums regarding the top-end resolution of the RD-75. Some have found it lacking compared to true ribbon tweeters. It's difficult to comment on this since I have no ribbon tweeters myself, and the comparisons made were not documented with frequency response measurements.

But being curious, I had to do a comparison at home, as good as I could get to do it. I have a pair of Sennheiser HD-600 headphones, which I think are pretty good. So I listened to some well-known tracks through the HD-600's, and then on the RD-75's. I did not find the RD-75's lacking at all, in fact they had better resolution than the HD-600 headphones. Not a very good test, but it made me sleep better last night .... :)

Is the Genesis 1.2 included ribbon , the same ribbon as the BG RD75 ?
Well, I am sure these RD75 are fantastic units.

The problem left to clear is if my tube amplifiers will be happy with the 6 ohm load presented by these ribbons.
I plan to use the Marshall EL34 50/50 Guitar amplifier which I am very happy with for the tweeters and the Marshall EL34 100/100 for the woofers. The speaker outputs are 8 ohm and I must assure that these will be happy with the RD75 6 ohm load.

Any input here , will it be ok ?

If, so I will go for the RD75.

The Beyma TPL150H is 8 ohm and which will be the alternative.

Last edited:
Back in 2011, i was considering to try out a Bohlender & Graebener. I contacted the company, and they were interested to hand me over import and distribution of their products in brazil. The project did not go forward, because shipping was very expensive with FedEx or UPS. Now there are new possibilites, like Shipito warehouse in Torrance CA, where you can send products bought in the u.s., and they ship it all over the world with very reduced prices. And it can be choosen between various companies, like Fedex, UPS, and others. I already used the service, no complaints. So if someone is interested in a group buy, i can check with them again.

Angelo

Great information. It been several times the buy did not go through due to that they did not ship outside US. Also shippng was exensive. Will look into Shipito in the future.

Thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.