Woofer adivce to match my tweeters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I have grabbed two of the following tweeter for a good price at a local store sale. They are very efficient and can handle a lot of power. I'm looking for advice on a good woofer to match to them, around 95db, not too big ~6" to 8" that can play up to ~3kHz. Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Vifa H26TG35 1" soft dome tweeter with impedance transformer (small horn)

Znom 6 ohm
Re 4.6 ohm
Le@1kHz - mH
fs 940 Hz
Qms -
Qes -
Qts -
Mms .33 g
Cms - mm/N
Sd 7.1 cm2
BL 3.3 Tm
Vas - ltrs
Xmax - mm peak
VC Ø 25 mm
Sensitivity
2.83V / 1m 96 dB
Nom. Power DIN 100 W
Magnet weight 240 g

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I thought I might bring you good news, as I had made the following note:
"Tang Band W6-789S 6-1/2" 92dB Woofer $44 Parts Express," but now when I checked again it appears they no longer carry it.

Making an MMTMM could bring up the efficiency, but that many drivers kind of defeats the savings unless you find an awesome deal. Madisound has a $13 Vifa that might be cheap enough? Check the specials.

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. That kind of efficiency is only found in pro stuff. In a 6'' or 8'' you are looking at a pro mid.
On the other hand, if you are looking at a low cost high quality speaker with decent efficiency, these may suit your needs in an MTM. Look at these and give Chris a call at Solen.
Canadian prices and no import costs.
http://www.solen.ca/pub/cms_nf_cata...s=&manufacturiers=&niveau1=&niveau2=&niveau3=

http://www.solen.ca/import/xvrdesign.htm

I might (read: have to) compromise on this one I guess.

I'll try to find two 4" to 6" woofers per channel around ~89-90dB each and bring the tweeter down to ~93dB. That way both ranges will be at the same efficiency level and adding a resistor to the tweeter can be good towards reducing the total load reactance.

I'm looking towards transmission lines. One woofer at 1/3*L and the other one at 1/5*L. I'll probably have the tweeter in the middle of that.

One point I'm not to clear for TL's, what kind of Qts do they like to see? I would guess ~0.20 to ~0.50 should be decent...

DcibeL said:
If you want to look at it that way, about $3.80 per dB after baffle step considerations.

I use the Peerless 830884 8" HDS, at $1.20 per dB after baffle step and am very happy with it. Better bass capabilities than the JA8008 as well I'd imagine, at least in a regular bass reflex cabinet. ;)
Sure but I guess that what the JA8008 price does reflect is its high efficiency combined with a smooth, unrising fr response and low fs / possibly x-max / average Qts; I don't know of any other 8" hifi or PA driver having this kind of features...Do you?

It's definitely unique, I'll give you that. The lack of an xmax spec in the datasheet, or I should say the lack of T/S parameters in general is unfortunate. Smooth response is nice, but not a deal maker at that price.

Anyway, I feel like I'm thread-jacking here. Back to the topic at hand. 3kHz is likely the lowest usable frequency for that tweeter, and the $350 JA8008 is probably a poor driver choice to match a $40 tweeter. ;)

Using more than one midrange unit up to 3kHz or above will likely result in some polar issues, an MTM here is a poor choice. A pro-audio midrange used in a 3-way is probably your best bet.

DcibeL said:
It's definitely unique, I'll give you that. The lack of an xmax spec in the datasheet, or I should say the lack of T/S parameters in general is unfortunate. Smooth response is nice, but not a deal maker at that price.

Anyway, I feel like I'm thread-jacking here. Back to the topic at hand. 3kHz is likely the lowest usable frequency for that tweeter, and the $350 JA8008 is probably a poor driver choice to match a $40 tweeter. ;)

Using more than one midrange unit up to 3kHz or above will likely result in some polar issues, an MTM here is a poor choice. A pro-audio midrange used in a 3-way is probably your best bet.

Right now I'm looking at the Audax AP170Z0, 22$ at PE. It goes up to 5kHz, so I could cross over somewhere around 3.5kHz I guess. Two of them would get sensitivity around 92-93dB and thus fit the bill.

IG81 said:
Right now I'm looking at the Audax AP170Z0, 22$ at PE. It goes up to 5kHz, so I could cross over somewhere around 3.5kHz I guess. Two of them would get sensitivity around 92-93dB and thus fit the bill.
Originally posted by DcibeL

How about an Eminence Alpha-6 and a large pro woofer for bass reinforcement? Will make for a bit more expensive and larger project, but should result in a very powerful speaker.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.