Royd Coniston Speakers...Worth a Buy Cheap?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th April 2009, 01:59 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Royd Coniston Speakers...Worth a Buy Cheap??

Hi
I have joined the forum in the hope that someone can help me.

I am aware of the reputation of Royd Speakers and have the chance to buy some Royd Conistons for around 15.....or 25 with some foundation stands.

They have not been looked after very well but everything is intact and the drivers need a careful clean up.

There is not much about them on the net but I am aware of how good people think the minstrels and other speakers in the range are.

Are these worth a buy as I cant afford much at the moment and just to give some background I love speakers and bought some mint Celestion 3s and Wharfedale diamond 4s this week for 8 all in which is a bargain. I am only running a Marantz 7300 cd and 7200 amp which arent too bad ( and some disco speakers gemini which will upset the purists)

Are the royds worth a listen or are they too early as a 1984? model

Regards
Old 6th April 2009, 02:36 AM   #2
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I had a set of Royds once. They were very nice. From Royd's rep & my experience I'd say that 25 quid with stands is probably a steal as long as they work.

dave
Old 6th April 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks very much.
Yes they are in a local computer games/pawn shop and I can take them back if they dont work.

The drivers are very dusty and the foams are flaking. They dont look as if they have been cherished which is a worry.

It would be a project to tidy them up a bit. Very carefully on the main drivers.

Yes thanks. I am very grateful for your input and hope that someone can tell me if they had an accurate sweet sound.

I would love a pair of minstels or doublets but havent the money when they come up on ebay.

So if anyone has a pair of Royd Conistons or used to own them I would be glad to hear from you.

My Regards

Hide this!Advertise here!