Woofer to make Seas Excel duo three way?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have millennium tweeters and excel 7" magnesium woofers that I'd like to build a three way with. Can anyone suggest a woofer that will work well with my excels to make it a three way?Obviously there are many drivers that will work, but Im thinking of something will blend well tonally and has at least the same power handling or more than my combo and is considered as uncoloured/transparent/detailed as the excels. Size or number of drivers dont matter.
Not too worried about a complete design at this stage. I'll be tri-amping with digital XO so Im hoping I can wing it then tweak.

Hi Joe,
I'm definately not an expert but I have BR MTMs with those drivers. The 7" Excels would not be a good choice for mid drivers in a three way, they have extreme breakup nodes right in the area where you would normally cross over to the tweeter. May I suggest a 2 way crossed around 2k and a sub crossed around 40hz if you feel the need. Personally I could knock the windows out of my house with the 7" Excels I have now. I have two 10" Peerless subs that I quit using when I built the MTMs, no need for them except maybe home theater.
Bill

Bill,
You are correct, not the ideal mid driver, usually. I didn't tell the whole story cos I didn't want to be told it cant be done ;) But...
I have pair of passive two way near field monitors with the excels that are perfect, except for the early bass roll off. I have two 12"XXLS subs but I don't like crossing higher than 70 to the subs so this leaves a 'hole' around 100Hz that the 7" cant fill. So I'd like to try ditching the subs and rolling off the 7" around 250Hz and crossing to say a 10" or pair of 8"s. The way I hear it, the monitor works very well. It's just a case adding to the bottom end. Unconventional I know, but I've been itching to try it.

Do you find you overload your BR's soon as there's a hint of sub 50 bass? It doesn't take much to max out my 7" and mine are sealed. Forget about movies with these.

Hi Joe'
I see, you might want to try decreasing the volume of your cabs, if the xmax is the problem, the drivers are becoming unloaded. From memory, they should be less than .5 cuft. The hole in the response is almost definately from baffle step loss. Martin King has a simple circuit he uses personally with his home setups for BSC, I'll attach it if I can find it.
My BRs are tuned to about 30hz so that allows for room gain and they have never become unloaded. I've not come close to xmax and I would guess they go down to 25hz reasonably flat in room response. I took a lot of measurements when I built them but measuring bass in room is very difficult.
I drive them with a Pass Aleph 5 [75W], great match.
Bill

Attachments

• bsc_sizing.pdf
    93.7 KB · Views: 44
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.