Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th April 2003, 06:26 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I saw your other thread after I saw this one.

You know, when I was 17 (way too long ago) I took a cab my father already had, tried to duplicate it using scrap plywood in his worshop (3/4 inch at any rate, but with way too many voids) and then dropped a couple of Radio Shack 15" woofers, 8" midranges and horn tweeters into both boxes. Crossover was straight off the shelf as well. Damn I thought those things sounded good!

You're way ahead of me on the curve at that age. Of course, back then no one had too much other than RS. I'm not sure Speaker Builder magazine was even around at the time. Keep working at it (and drop a Shiva or Tempest in that box when you get a chance!)
Old 24th April 2003, 09:25 PM   #12
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

When you were seventeen, I bet there was no internet for you to read all this stuff on, that's probably the reason why
Old 24th April 2003, 10:50 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
well, folks, I'm 19, living at home, and I'm just building my first pair, and I have to say, they're horrid!

The 15"ers on them have very limited excursion, so low bass above 2 watts causes the woofers to bottom out (Waah!) and make this horrible banging noise... the tweeters are not bad, peizo, and the 2.5-way config I've got them in is actually fairly nice to listen to... it's a sealed box so the bass is 3dB quieter than I'd like, but with a little EQ it's just fine.

I want to sell the boxes as fast as I can once I get the finish put on them, so I can build some better ones.... already plans are in the works for a 3-way completely amped speaker pair (VERY ambitious) so all you need is wall current and a line-level signal...

anyway... I feel pretty good for being 19.
Old 24th April 2003, 11:11 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Uh, I don't know why a woofer would be 2W so you might've mounted it wrong, bending the frame and making it scrape. Try loosening some screws and see if it gets better. I have a few speaks like this.

Tim
Old 24th April 2003, 11:49 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
Really? Hmm...

At 1 watt, it gives quite a bit of excursion (~1/2") at the low frequencies without any unpleasant noises... when turned up much higher, there is a new sound accompanying kick drums that sounds, by my intuition, like the voice coil hitting the back plate. Guessing by where I see things, I think this is a real possibility...

anyway, I didn't mean to hijack the thread like that... please resume normal discussion.

I'd heard that by making a sub down-firing, it eliminated an unpleasant artifact of PA speakers where, if you're just the wrong distance away, the bass is really weak... this being undesirable, down-firing woofers were developed in order to reduce or eliminate the effect.

Anyone know about this?
Old 24th April 2003, 11:51 PM   #16
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

2W won't move a woofer that much, unless you've got almost no Xmax. I'd check it again, it's worth a try.
Old 25th April 2003, 02:17 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Sch3mat1c Send a message via AIM to Sch3mat1c
Yeah. I just don't buy 1W for a whole half inch...sure you didn't mean half milimeter?

Thread hijack my butt.. (oops ) this thread's had no strictly-on-topic posts since Dave Bullet. Besides, this refers to bass speakers, that's what the thread was originally about so it's not too far off

Tim
Old 25th April 2003, 02:35 AM   #18
Banned

Send a message via MSN to SkinnyBoy
Quote:
Originally posted by BigDaddyD
Keep working at it (and drop a Shiva or Tempest in that box when you get a chance!)

Nah, I want to get a 12inch XLS Peerless and a Passive radiator or 2.. Don't wanna waste my money on cheapish or hard to find parts.. lol and I can get the Peerlesses at trade price.. so, thats $200 AU instead of $300 lol, why not? Hey, now I might be thread-jacking.. lol

Hide this!Advertise here!