no comment!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
badman said:

Not so much of an issue, I'd think Andy. Remember, the 2Pi 4Pi transition is going to take place in such an arrangement well above the frequency where the driver becomes directional.

The 2pi 4pi transition is not the only diffraction effect, (in fact, I'm not sure it could actually be described as one. Diffraction is more related to the creation of secondary waves at sharp boundaries, and the effects thereof, which is not what baffle step transition is all about)

I would suspect that there is still going to be a secondary wave forming, around a single main frequency (and its multiples), from the rather abrupt equidistant edge of the driver casing.
It would be interesting to see a measured frequency plot.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Correct, they look open back.

Were's the center speaker? Got a pole for it.

This would look pretty cool if he would run the wires up thru the molding he put on the wall. Hide all the wires, paint the supports the same color as the wall and it's super slick. Looks like he is working in that direction.

ah! I see the left one now, in the picture showing a closeup of the right one.

The total arrangement looks like a 5.1, with two mounts in close and two "surrounds" already mounted, a center channel post, and the sub.

I guess we are just waiting for the other drivers, and all of the cabinets to show up in the mail.

...or maybe some 2x4 studs and a few sheets of drywall?

Let's see: infinite baffle, open back, ... what's this one called again? (with the series of W, H, N, used for dipole subwoofers, can we just call this one "spacebar?")

Well, that woofer looks like it is going to produce more net bass by exciting the wall behind it, than by its own cone...

Definitely free from box colorations.

If these were all toed in a bit, there may be a decent sweet spot in the near field, and the sound may totally disappear at any significant distance. Maybe the intention is to have a really low SPL in the next room?

(Baby Jesus crying indeed)

OMG, are we really gonna resurrect this thread?

I think it was an art exhibit. Really hope it wasn't someone's serious 5.1 setup.

Since it appeared to be only partially done, maybe we missed the final step where the new wall went in 24 inches in front of the old wall, making the drivers all flush-mounted.

(Andrew, I can't believe that you and I chose to be alerted when new posts hit this thread...)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.