How can I measure dB output? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Closed Thread

Old 23rd April 2003, 07:52 AM   #1
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Default How can I measure dB output?

I have made my audio system go louder and louder over the years. To the point where I can destroy the neighbor's furniture.. lol
I know that's awfully loud. But I'd like to find a method to measure the dB output from my speakers in totality... I'd imagine it's in the 200 300 or so range or more, but I'm not sure. Can someone help me here?

Old 23rd April 2003, 08:09 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Talking Yeah, I know I'm a smart-***...

Quote:
But I'd like to find a method to measure the dB output from my speakers in totality... I'd imagine it's in the 200 300 or so range or more, but I'm not sure.
Since you are not dead, I think it's probably significantly less than 2 or 3 hundred dB's...

Old 23rd April 2003, 09:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Apparently one species of whale belches out about 165dB of "sound"

Old 23rd April 2003, 10:17 AM   #4
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

At 200-300 dB SPL, it's not only your neighbours furniture that's at risk,-
your local city sems more like it....
Also,- I guess you are very close to the niagara power plant, or something similar, for power input..??

A jet enginge measured at 1m is listed at an appx. value of 135-140 dB SPL ......

Old 23rd April 2003, 11:46 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Duo...you can get a sound level meter for testing Db output and I think your way off on how Loud you think your system is...LOL

I saw Moterhead Live in concert years ago and they were the loudest band in the world and they recorded 167 Db.....my ears were numb for days after that!!!

Cheers!!The DIRT®

Old 23rd April 2003, 01:43 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
I find as i get older ( being the ripe old age of 25 now ) that loudness is my enemy in this sense : I'm a musician, and I have trouble listening to music in its totality sometimes..as my ear singles out one particular instrument and i focus on that.

On a crappy stereo, that is only capable of playing LOUD i find i have to turn the volume way up to hear what i am looking for. Maybe its the timbre of a guitar string that would give me hint to where on the fretboard the guitarist is playing... maybe its a really fast upright bass solo where i'm trying to define individual notes for transcription's sake...

However, since i got my 8watt 300b's I can listen to music at a normal level and be able to pick out all the detail i am listening to and walk away hours later without a headache...and the volume never gets past 3/10. ( on 89db speakers! )

Having a stereo that plays loud is absolutely nothing to brag about, IMHO, though im sure there are many who see it as a reason to. I guess it all gets back to why we listen to music in the first place.

-Maz

Old 23rd April 2003, 01:47 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Magnetmaz
In reference to the whale post above :

I seem to remember hearing that one of the new high tech non-lethal police weapons was a sort of 'sound cannon' that they would use to disperse crowds.

Apparently it gives off the resonant frequency of your chest cavity ( if memory serves me right ) and makes anyone within a certain area start throwing up within seconds. Kinda like tear gas but without the gas, and with alot of lost lunches.

-Maz

Old 23rd April 2003, 02:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Quote:
Originally posted by Magnetmaz

makes anyone within a certain area start throwing up within seconds.
I wonder who does a clean up after that?

Sound level meter can be bought cheaply from Radio Shack
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC

Old 23rd April 2003, 02:56 PM   #9
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Hmm interesting. Because I know an audiophile that said he auditioned a system that did over 200dB.

My stereo isn't simply for going loud. I desire only the finest audio reproduction. If there is any distortion or problem with the sound it annoys me very much.

The amps and speakers must be completely transparent and the sound uncolored and original....

This is why I'm not sure what the dB output is. I don't have enough experience with dB's since i've never had any equipment that functioned exclusively upon that rating.

Put it this way though, I would never dare to be in a room the size of a typical master bedroom with my stereo at full volume for fear of damaging something badly. I never crank it that loud unless it's outside and I'm testing.

Old 23rd April 2003, 04:11 PM   #10
AuroraB is offline AuroraB  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default SPL levels

put it this way,---

If your speakers have a sensitivity of 90 db @1W and 1m, which is fairly normal these days, feeding them 100W gives an SPL of 110 dB SPL, 113 if both channels get the same signal simultaneously. Similarly, a 1kW combo will give 120 db SPL at 1m, which is the reference distance. A composite signal like music, is generally perceived to be somewhat louder, even if the signal peak level will usually be related to a single note.
Also, SPL decreases with the square of the distance ratio,- doubling the distance decreases the level with 6 dB.

That's why I would seriously question the referred 167 dB , not to mention the 200....

BTW- the average pain treshold is concidered to be appx. 130 dB..............

Closed Thread

Hide this!Advertise here!