Any projects for Seas MCA 15 RCY mids..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JandG said:
Surprised more have not ventured with this mid.
I guess that venting this mid isn't needed if one lets the woofer doing the appropriate job in the high-bass/low-mid range; Troels often chooses a low cutoff mid/bass point and/or relatively steep slopes which need some added acoustical push in this range. I don't believe the vent is able to significantly affect the impulse/dampening response field because the range it begins to be audible is yet far away from fs/fb.

I built the attached speaker with help from a local diyaudio member, dickmorgan, he assisted me in loudspeaker selection, box and crossover design. Well, let's be honest, he designed the crossover 100% for me.

This is my first endeavour into high quality audio gear and I think it sounds excellent. Unfortunately, I built a huge box out of 1" MDF with tons of bracing so each speaker weighs about 100 pounds. I'm sure I could have built something much more conservative and had an excellent product that actually fits inside the house rather than in the back of the garage :(

For bi-amping, I use Greg Ball's GB300D on the top and a Peavey CS800 on the bottom. I'm in the process of building another stereo GB300D to replace the CS800. I know, 300Wrms to drive a tweeter and small midrange is a tad overkill... but you can always turn the volume control down.

Attachments

• crossover schematic-flat 2008-01-19.pdf
    6.4 KB · Views: 148
I have attached these schematics without asking consent from dickmorgan, but I do not expect that he will mind. Just don't use the design in any commercial reproductions. He is a local DIY audio guy and happy to help out those of us that are new to the hobby.

Attachments

• crossover schematic-recessed voicing 2008-01-19.pdf
    6 KB · Views: 93
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.