Mystery loudspeakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mistery loudspeakers

Hi, Ive been given a pair of speakers and was wondering if anyone had any idea what they are.

The only info on them is a pair of serial numbers:- 1066 Left & 1067 right.

I've pulled a midrange out, it has the serial number 796607 or maybe 79g607. The surround has completely withered but if I push the centre it moves in and very smoothly. So I reckon it can be easily mended if it's worthwhile.

So anybody got a clue what they are?
:confused:

Attachments

• p090309_17.22[01].jpg
    p090309_17.22[01].jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 696
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kef B139, still a usable bass driver.... often used in a TL.

http://t-linespeakers.org/drivers/b139.html

Scott & i revisted the B139 TL using modern modeling tools. (2 possible configs shown at the link, but it could be done other ways).

http://t-linespeakers.org/projects/vProjects.html

Modrange is the closed back Peerless K040, used in quite a few speakers including some of the less expensive IMFs and the 2nd iteration of the Rogers Pro9TL

The tweeter -- can you post a closeup of the front and the back?

The XO is classic British. Someone common must have been making XOs for a lot of manufacturers.

The B139 is worth reusing... the tweeters in some "i need a tweeter, ant tweeter" application, and the XO for parts (mostly the chokes -- modern caps are much better)

dave

Hi,

They are British made Nightingale loudspeakers I recall.

KEF B139, Peerless KO40MRF sealed midrange (there was a
UK coated version of this, done by Falcon Acoustics), and
what looks like an Isophon KK8 tweeter, the crossover is
by Falcon Acoustics, they made a lot of British crossovers.

If you restore them as is, the elcaps might be worth replacing,
though the ones used are far better quality than the typical
far eastern variety available at the time.

As I recall they had a deep reticulated foam front grille and
and five sided reticulated foam hood, fitting over the whole
top section, both of these simply disintegrate over time.

:)/sreten.

I think you may well be right, the crossovers are Falcon Acoustics model PCB3A.

I've had one of the kef b139 units out and found that the main cabinet is a transmission line :D. So I'm now thinking that a pair of transmission line subs would be a good start.

A couple of questions,
is it possible to mend the peerless midrange drivers? Apart from the surrounds, which have completely withered, they appear in pretty good condition.
Also, can someone recommend suitable (I mean cheap here) replacement tweeters

Hi,

You can certainly refoam the mid ranges with a kit from e-pray.
Might not be perfect but should make them usable / serviceable.

If your tweeters are fried Maplin sell a £5 a pop dome tweeter.
Not perfect by any means but will make them usable / serviceable.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You may have to adjust the treble resistors in the crossover.

:)/sreten.

Now funny you should say that as I have a pair of fostex fe87 3" drivers currently sat in a couple of old planks desperately in need of bass. I've also got a set of active filter boards from the GB which have just gathered dust.
I have zero experience with crossovers. However, I'll have a stab at 175Hz crossover point and 3rd (I'm really guessing now) order filter.
Open baffle or box, no idea really tho neither would be difficult

Hopefully that would make a nice set of speakers for the basement, give me a pair of active subs if I needed them and leave open a future project to build a really nice pair of mini monitors, oh and be really cheap to boot.

Am I in the right ballpark?

If you want quick results, I'd agree with Dave when he said about a couple of small monitor speakers, and keep the Kef bass driver.

However, I would be curious about how the other drivers sound, so, if I were you, I'd try to restore them, see what they sound like.

If you don't like the sound, get some small monitors, if you do like the sound, keep them and enjoy.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
delsix said:
Now funny you should say that as I have a pair of fostex fe87 3" drivers currently sat in a couple of old planks desperately in need of bass. I've also got a set of active filter boards from the GB which have just gathered dust.
I have zero experience with crossovers. However, I'll have a stab at 175Hz crossover point and 3rd (I'm really guessing now) order filter.
Open baffle or box, no idea really tho neither would be difficult

Hopefully that would make a nice set of speakers for the basement, give me a pair of active subs if I needed them and leave open a future project to build a really nice pair of mini monitors, oh and be really cheap to boot.

Am I in the right ballpark?

Don't dismiss the FE87 as potential minimonitors. Tricked up i understand they can be very surprising (the FF85 sure is). With the B139 you want to keep the XO below 250 Hz, they have a particularily nasty circa 1 k resonance. The "box" for the FE87 could be as simple as an open baffle the width of the box (and then the XO point is chosen to relate to that -- ie around the bafflestep point). 3rd order would be fine. On our FF85 to bass driver i'm using 2nd order HP, 1st order kowpass, butit is a special case.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.