strange speaker breakdown - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th March 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default strange speaker breakdown

hey gang!

i got a wierd one in my shop. a nice ol' B&W DM620 came by with a woofer that have a 1,4R DC resistance

it works, but of course, sounds funny. there's no other apparent damage to the loudspeaker. so i replaced the driver (nice of B&W to have replacements in stock for such an old box, i'd say)

all is well

until the customer comes back two weeks later, saying it STILL sounds funny

this time it's the _other_ lf unit that's dropped to 1,3-4R. what gives? i've never seen anything like this in twenty years of messin' around with loudspeakers

any clues, gentlemen? i've asked him to come by with his amp. maybe it's putting out an unhealthy dose of DC?

the vc looks okay. kicking myself for throwing the first one out, it could do with a proper autopsy now .. alas, i'm flabbergasted

any advice or tales appriciated!

cheers,

mb4b
Old 18th March 2009, 12:53 AM   #2
RIP

He could have brought them in each time in "partial" failure due to excessive DC on the voice coils...i.e., they both shorted from layer to layer on the voice coil, but were brought in before they shorted open.

seems kind of unlikely

...don't know the amplifier...but it would have to be designed in such a way as to allow a single component failure to cause DC offset in both channels.
Old 29th March 2009, 08:58 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Don't have any input on how this might have happened but I do have a DM620 with a bad woofer. The coil broke. I've had no luck finding a replacement part. B&W doesn't make it anymore and have been no help with an alternate solution. If you can still get this part or if your customer has a good one they want to sell let me know.

Hide this!Advertise here!