low sensitivity speakers for guitar applications

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been looking for some time to try and tame an old Marshall Valve amp head rated at 50W so that I can use it more at home in the lounge (not sure to the wife's pleasure). I built a 1X12" speaker cab a long time ago using a Celestion Vintage 30 (to match an existing cab I had at the time) but didnt relly look into what I was doing much. The Vintage 30 has a sensitivity of 100db so it is really quite efficiant. I did look around to see if there are any low sensitivity suitably ranged loudspeakers that would fit the bill for guitar amplication that has a much lower response allowing me to run the amp hotter while keeping the plaster on the walls.

Any idea's?? Is there a gap in the market??

Even with a lower sensitivity speaker, I don't think you will ever get the Marshall 50W sounding good inside the house.
My advice would be to sell the amp and buy something in the 10-12W or lower range, so you can crank it up.
Another possibility (which I don't much care for) is some sort of attenuator. If I were going with an attenuator, I'd probably get one from Ted Weber .
I bought speakers from him and had him re-cone speakers and got good service.

Cheers
John

Yeh, Kid of the conclusions I came to. 50W is small / medium venu volumes. I have just built a 5W valve amp which I am in the process of adding an additional gain stage to. I can push it to full volume (the neighbours seem quite happy which surprises me).

There must be some speaker end solutions out there somewhere as I understand a few db reduction can equate to a much lower SPL (I could be wrong though)

mouldiwarp said:
There must be some speaker end solutions out there somewhere as I understand a few db reduction can equate to a much lower SPL (I could be wrong though)
Subjectively, half as loud is 1/10 the power. My metal guitarist housemate used a 1/2W amp for a while through a 4x10 and it was still too loud in the bedroom if he cranked it.

Buy a harmony 303?

I have one, an old beltone, an ampeg, a magnatone and 2 traynors. I love the harmony for home playing nice sound and fun to tube roll.

Also on another note, I put a tone tubby ceramic into my ampeg gemini 2 and love it to pieces, it is like 30 watts and I play it wide open at home sometime.

Getting a little off topic, but the old traynor bassmate 2 (head) with an ampeg svt classic cab and a bass, the drum kit and the ampeg gemini plus gibson sg, add some booze and at the end of the night my ears are ringing like church bells.

Good times, I like to be able to feel the music while playing but it is also nice to play at low volumes with the harmony and have a tone that is crunchy.

PS- the magnatone is really nice too M-10A but it isn't working at the moment.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.