Omnes L8 on OB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for the hint towards this thread, Scrappy.doo (and Rudolf) and your invitation to introduce my little project.

Recently, I tried Omnes Audio L8 together with four Ciare PW 387 (15"), each two per side, in open baffle.

The L8s do not see any correction measures / crossover and are driven directly by the amp. The woofers are powered by two subwoofer moduls Hypex DS 2.0, one for each side.

Since this was my first OB-project, I tried a very simple test baffle first:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As the acoustic results really convinced me, I decided to go for a final model.

This is what I intended to do:

The idea was to "downsize" the big optical appearance of a 18.5" wide baffle by slimlining it to 15.5" at the bottom and to insert two narrowing lines on the front by router (I felt a bit inspired by modern car design...;) ).

The fronts before final assembly...

... and their back sides:

The idea here was to offer the L8 a maximum open space on its reverse sides (and may be a certain design aspect, too).

The frame set before inserting the drivers:

The final model:

After a long evening of measuring and listening...

It all was done by jigsaw and router on the carpet of an available room in my bureau which was not needed during these days. The laquering was done by a car repair shop nearby.

The sound is open, clear, dynamic and surprisingly deep. Very low and impulsive bass down to 30 Hz. Interested in measures?

Hope I didn´t do too much with my pictures here. But it was fun and I can only recommend using the L8 together with two 15" in open baffle. Eminence Alpha 15 or Beta 15 will do as well and I am convinced that you will achieve compelling results.

Regards
Till

Great looking speakers THWO.

Skorpion, is the H frame you quoted for the Betas 40cm deep each side of the central baffle or was it a total depth of 40cm?
I have four Betas and am looking for the best way of using them. I had nearly given up on them until I saw this post.

Rudolf, were your tests on the betas done on just a flat 43cm baffle or were they in a U or H frame?

Thanks for any replies, jamikl.

Scrappydoo said:

I'm running my omnes full range but I find it has a slight compression on some vocals or the vocals sound like they are coming out of a pipe. If you know what I mean.

Grant, you need to have really clear opening on the rear otherwise they will have 1/4 pipe resonance.

DSC_7696.jpg

tinitus said:

L8 driver has high sensitivity and rising top, so it should handle a bit of "soft" and light coating...it often does wonders ;)

I've never heard the L8 myself, but all measurements of the standard L8 I know of don´t show a rising top.

jamikl said:
Great looking speakers THWO.
Rudolf, were your tests on the betas done on just a flat 43cm baffle or were they in a U or H frame?

I did not do tests, it´s just simulations. They were done for the flat silvery baffles shown by THWO above.

Hi Scrappydoo,
the amp I am running the L8 with is an Audio Agile model, a small but well regarded German manufacturer. Class A with approx. 2x 20 Watts but 240.000 mF Power supply...

You are right, I forgot about the tweeter on the back; a small horn which is sleeved in simply by 1.33 mF capacitor at approx. 14-15KHz / 6dB. So it should compensate well for the L8´decrease in spl above 10 KHz.

I have got some measures. First picture is the L8 alone, measured with distance of 1 Meter:

Here you see the woofers alone, again at 1 Meter:

Total frequency range at 1 Meter:

You see that the woofers run louder than the rest, only due to the settings on the amp module. The reason is that I have a certain lack of bass at the listening area.

Interesting to see the influence of the room on the next measure, taken at my listening place (sofa near a big window front); the bass response is better in line with the L8 now:

Total frequency range taken at the place of listening:

The measures are all taken without the Tweeter horn. It will be included later in new measures.

Subjectively, despite the appearance in the diagrams, there did not seem to be too much lack of treble performance, I was quite surprised. I guess that together with the small horn, the last possibly mising "twinkle" might be added. I am still "playing".

Please excuse my threadjacking - I hope I did not interfere with your own project...

Till

opening on the rear

Hi Gainphile,
your suggestion of a wide opening at the rear of the L8 matches perfectly with my own experience. I once tried the L8 together with narrow winglets - and the entire sound stage collapsed immediately. Reproduction decreased to a boaring, lustless and diffuse anything.

That is why (besides design aspects) I did his flat plate - surrounding on the back of my panels. It seems to have worked out well. However, I guess a 45° phase will do as well as long as the plate woun´t be to thick there.

Till

Hi Till,
Thanks for providing that info.
No Problem with the thread jacking, the title is "omnes L8 on OB", even though I started this thread I'm happy for anyone to post with their experiences on the Omnes.:D

Tinitus, the speaker's screw holes are countersunk from the front and the front edge isn't quite flat, so they're not really suited to mounting on the rear of the baffle.

Thanks.

Just an update on my progress, I've installed an active crossover, and I found that around 160hz is the sweet spot for the xover, this is just going off the knob. I don't know how accurate that is, I'll measure it with the scope to see where it actually crosses.
It's a 24db/octave L/R filter.

The bass from the alpha's is really good.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.