Decent DIY speakers on the Cheap - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2009, 05:19 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Decent DIY speakers on the Cheap

I know, I know,

There have probably been thousands of posts like this on the forum and I should "search". I also know I will get a thousand different opinions when I ask the following questions. I just hope that the replies take into consideration the parameters I lay out.

#1) I have spent the past 3 years experimenting with Tube amplification.

#2) My current speakers are Yamaha NS-A636's, I got them for FREE so I did not "Invest" into a set of drivers with questionable performance.

#3) Since I listen to a wide variety of music and I am dealing with relatively low power amps (3-4Watts average) (9-12Watts tops) I would like some better sensitivity than the 86-88db the Yamaha's have.

#4) I have an EXTREMELY limited budget due to the fact that I am currently out of work. I have LOTS of time and skill to build a set of cabinets, xovers etc.

So here are the questions:

a: Can anyone recommend some "budget minded" drivers?
I am looking to build a pair with maybe 6 1/2" woofer and some sort of horn tweeter. (suggestions wanted here)

b: I would like them to play pretty flat down to maybe 80-100hz (I can fill in with subs from there since I have a few Subs and plate amps laying around)

c: Cabinet size is no problem I will build what is needed and no limit on the volume (within reason, LOL)

d: I can "bi-amp" or build passive crossovers. I am kind of leaning towards "bi-amping" since it will let me "show off" two stereo tube amps instead of one.

e: I would like sensitivity in the 92db+ range.

Am I asking too much for a $200 budget? (drivers and tweets only) I have plenty of cabinet materials around.
Old 12th March 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
sqlkev is offline sqlkev  United States
diyAudio Member

search for econo waveguide speaker project

hmm...
nvm...here's the link for you
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=150939

high efficiency and right around your budget
Old 12th March 2009, 05:57 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Decent DIY speakers on the Cheap

Quote:
a: Can anyone recommend some "budget minded" drivers?
I am looking to build a pair with maybe 6 1/2" woofer and some sort of horn tweeter. (suggestions wanted here)

b: I would like them to play pretty flat down to maybe 80-100hz (I can fill in with subs from there since I have a few Subs and plate amps laying around)

c: Cabinet size is no problem I will build what is needed and no limit on the volume (within reason, LOL)

d: I can "bi-amp" or build passive crossovers. I am kind of leaning towards "bi-amping" since it will let me "show off" two stereo tube amps instead of one.

e: I would like sensitivity in the 92db+ range.

Am I asking too much for a $200 budget? (drivers and tweets only) I have plenty of cabinet materials around. [/B]
The budget forces a few compromises, but only a few.

sqlkev's suggestion of the Econo Wave is a good one (very good), with regard to your desire for high efficiency, but unless you have a set of woofers, of at least 92db efficiency, lying about, it will be tough to get in under $200. The horns, drivers, and crossover components will chew up well over half of your budget. It's doable, but you'll be padding down the driver to match your smaller/cheaper/less efficient woofers. That's not necessarily bad, just a compromise in that your entire system won't be as efficient as it could be with a woofer better matched to the compression drivers' efficiency.

Since you already have the components for subs, you might want to think more along these lines...
http://www.bottlehead.com/loosep/S.E.Xy%20speakers.html
The Fostex full-range drivers are stunning, and their are many, many solid designs that will get the most out of them. Build your own cabinets and you're well under your $200 budget for the pair.

A pair of Fonken's mated with a pair of subs to fill in the bottom would be a killer match for your tube gear.

Oh, wait... you did say that cabinet size was not an issue, didn't you?
Have a look here...
Pioneer 8" BOFU BIB
Old 12th March 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

One of the many Fostex FE126e projects (if you have lots of speaker building material -- plywood i hope -- and no size limit i'd look to Saburo or Mikasa). Drivers about $100. Get one of Ed Lafontaine's EnABL kits and the other stuff you need to mod the drivers (they are available all done up but that would blow your budget). If you really want to add a horn, a single cap to bring it in at ~15k would do.

These were made to be used with tube amps... i use the less efficient FE127eN, my main amps are 4W

dave
Old 12th March 2009, 07:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Since cost seems to be a major consideration. I would honestly suggest not going the DIY route. Rather find yourself some decent speakers in a cosmetically challenged cabinet.

Since deep bass is not a problem, perhaps a Klipsch Heresy cabinet (or the industrial version that has a number I can't remember). It goes well with tubes and they made a million of them.

The only way you will get at your price range is if the cabinet is beat up. Later, you can re-fresh the crossover caps. With the power levels you mentioned. I would seriously not get anything with less than 92 dB/watt (or so)
Old 12th March 2009, 10:11 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by WithTarragon
Since cost seems to be a major consideration. I would honestly suggest not going the DIY route. Rather find yourself some decent speakers in a cosmetically challenged cabinet.
I can't agree with that at all. Going that route is really only needed if you are on a REALLY tight budget. Like $20-40. And then you have to get lucky, and you usually end up with an OB.

There are lots of really good speakers you can build for $200. If you want efficiency, most of them are single driver.

I've had Heresys and i wasn't at all enamoured of them...they don't hold a candle to a pair of Saburo... i did get $400 for the drivers in them (and burned the boxes)

dave
Old 12th March 2009, 10:20 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

If in the USA, Linkwitz Pluto must be one of the highest-value speakers around.

http://linkwitzlab.com/Pluto/photos.htm

- Designed by SL himself
- $700 including 4-channel amps!
- Even the plans/circuits are available freely, even more cheaper with own PCB.

as for the looks/WAF, its only limited to one's imagination/wallet

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12th March 2009, 10:34 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default You also go to ebay

and look at polk audio or JBL there are many good deals and good speakers to choose from
Old 12th March 2009, 10:59 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

All excellent info, Thanks.

What I am really driving at "pun intended" is assuming I am going a more conventional route

MDF Enclosure
6 1/2" woofer
Some sort of horn tweeter.

Can anyone offer a proven set of woofer/tweeter that work well together at about 5 watts RMS?

I am building an all tube active crossover so Bi-Amping is where I would like to be.

The $200 range is for the 4 raw drivers.

And yes I actually do have some sub woofers that I planned to do in Bandpass or tuned port enclosures left over from my car audio days.

The plutos look cool, I assume the vertical firing woofer is done that way for a reason? The "tube" is ported at the bottom?
Old 12th March 2009, 11:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Default go to this website

http://www.zaphaudio.com/

Hide this!Advertise here!