cabinet style definitions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
okay i have searched with various combinations of "cabinet style" and cannot find out what all the terms like TL, WMTM and so forth mean. so can someone point me in the right direction so i can further my education and better understand what is said here.

TL ( transmission line? ) WMTM (western most tipped mountain ?)

google gave me radio and tv stations and the ocassional link to this and other diy sites of members profiling their builds but no glossary.

thanks for any help :confused:

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
Well it is something we could all co-operate on, start small and just keep adding. We tend to use a lot of acronyms on this forum too

AFAIK ( As Far As I Know ) we don't have anything in the WIKI, if we do I searched badly.
OTOH ( on the Other Hand ) perhaps we don't need one but SWMBO is calling and I have to go help with the dishes
CUL8R

diyAudio Member
Joined 2007
O Woofer
o Mid
o Tweeter
o Mid
O Woofer

this equals WMTMW

it is a very convenient shorthand used to describe the physical placement of drivers on the baffle,
IB = infinite baffle a very large box that is totally sealed and airtight.

F&B = front and back, a type of drive layout where drivers are mounted on both sides of a box. I have seen this as B2B as well

Don't forget 'BR' for Bass Reflex or a ported/vented cabinet.

Oh yes, and 'SWMBO', 'She Who Must Be Obeyed', meaning the wife. Though sometimes simply 'SO' for Significant Other'.

Referring to W, M, and T, depending on the configuration, 'M' can be Midrange or Midbass. If it is accompanied by a 'W', then it is probably a Midrange. If it stands alone, it is probably a Midbass.

WMT = woofer, Midrange, tweeter

MTM = Midbass, tweeter, Midbass

Occasionally, you have both woofers, midbass, and midrange. Though it is not a standard designation, I typically use (Mb) for midbass in which case a simple 'M' would stand for midrange.

W(Mb)MT = woofer, midbass, midrange, tweeter.

Again, the (Mb) is something I made up; it's not standard.

Steve/bluewizard

thanks guys and i love the swmbo acronym. okay the speaker placement is being described. phew, i thought i was going to have to learn another new language besides the two i need already, xover design and the softare to design it.

so my first bose buster build, the two satellites anyway will be wtw then. cool.

thanks again:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.