Peerless 830656 suggestions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is - 15 degrees off axis, on axis even slightly better (more constant response between 3k and 6k hertz). I'll buy some extra resistors for fine tuning by ear the tweeter response.

Attachments

• response-15deg.jpg
    response-15deg.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 820
Reactions: 1 user
I finished my project and wanted to thank all who gave suggestions. Now I'm only playing with stuffing, trying to find the right amount, and since I made removable baffle this is a fast work.

While I'm typing I'm also listening to the speakers and I find they sound good, with natural voices and good timber of the instruments. So I'm really satisfied.

The box are 12.4 L tuned to 50 Hz with a 190 x 325mm baffle, woofer is 125 mm from bottom and the tweeter is 255 mm with a 15 mm offset. I'm attaching a description of the xo. The speakers are finished in bamboo veneer (*) with a hardwood baffle (ayous).

Ralf

(*) This veneer is beautiful but really a mess to handle and work.

Attachments

• filtro.jpg
    filtro.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 805
  • speaker.jpg
    speaker.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 793
Reactions: 1 user
Yes.

The 1.8 ohm resistor is for the L-Pad, and should be a "normal" value. However, the 1.5 ohm one, is not really for a zobel network, but for a 2nd order xo with an added resistor and when this resistor is low, it slightly modify the output in the xo range. I found the info on this forum, but I'm not able to find now the reference.

Ralf

I can be wrong, but if you see as a whole the part of the circuit with the two resistors and the tweeter, the total resistance should be:
r = 2.7 + 1/( 1/1.8 + 1/3.1 ) = 3.8 ohm
(where 3.1 is the resistance of the tweeter)

I don't think this is a too low value, but as I said I can be wrong, and I'm wishing to know better.

Ralf

Peerless 830656 with Dayton ND20FA-6

Hy,

Yesterday I bought this two drivers, because I decided to build my first speakers.
I am new in this, so I would like to learn few things.

First I want to make the enclosure. My wish is that it would be smallest acceptable.
I used few online calculators but they made me quite confused.
For sealed enclosure it suggests volume of 12.88l. Is this correct?
But smaller box would be nice. Because of that I start thinking of ported box, but I think I don't have enough knowledge for this. So I would be very pleased if you could help me with you suggestions.

How is with passive crossover for this speakers?
I was thinking that XO frequency would be 3.5kHz(maybe a bit lower), but again I dont know enough to decide which type to use. My idea was to use first or second order. But it was just bluff, because I dont know how to recognize which one would fit nice according to the drivers frequency response curves. (edit: I am very sorry. Now I saw the sticky thread about this. I will read it, but suggestions are still welcome.)
So here I am asking you again for some help and maybe lessons.

Thanks, Tim

I am sorry for my English and absent minded typing.

Peerless 830656
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dayton ND20FA-6
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If needed I can also attach impedance vs. frequency and parameters of drivers.

Last edited:
If you look in the pictures sticky, 1 page back, I posted my recent build, which uses the 830656 and Dayton nd28. Take a look at the link I included. I have some info about box design in there. Also some measurements on a 200 x 300 mm baffle. I can give you the .frd for my measurements if you use that size baffle.

Project already done here

Hy,

Yesterday I bought this two drivers, because I decided to build my first speakers.
I am new in this, so I would like to learn few things.

First I want to make the enclosure. My wish is that it would be smallest acceptable.
I used few online calculators but they made me quite confused.
For sealed enclosure it suggests volume of 12.88l. Is this correct?
But smaller box would be nice. Because of that I start thinking of ported box, but I think I don't have enough knowledge for this. So I would be very pleased if you could help me with you suggestions.

How is with passive crossover for this speakers?
I was thinking that XO frequency would be 3.5kHz(maybe a bit lower), but again I dont know enough to decide which type to use. My idea was to use first or second order. But it was just bluff, because I dont know how to recognize which one would fit nice according to the drivers frequency response curves. (edit: I am very sorry. Now I saw the sticky thread about this. I will read it, but suggestions are still welcome.)
So here I am asking you again for some help and maybe lessons.

Thanks, Tim

I am sorry for my English and absent minded typing.

Peerless 830656

Dayton ND20FA-6

If needed I can also attach impedance vs. frequency and parameters of drivers.

I am beginner in this field, so my descriptions can be a bit wierd.

So, they play quite nice but with some issues.
It has very nice midriange and pretty good highs (maybe not enough soft).
And the transparency is on quite high level for the middle and uper part of frequencies.
Bass area is also nice but they have problems with bass drum. It is not that there would be lack ob bass. Because the play well bass guitar, double bass, artificial bass, but when there comes to bass drum they dont have the right punch.

I will also play with some stuffing and stands. I also need to test them in better placment. Also, I do not have experience with bookselfs like that.

Overall I am very satisfied with them. The most important thing is joy I had with building and I also learned a lot.

I really like the 830xxx woofers, but I think, if you have the option, the FaitalPro 5FE120 are a better option. Better power handling, and much better top-end extension make it a better fit with a lot of tweeters.

I also have the Peerless Xt25 tweets, can't say enough good about them, but do have a narrow field.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.