Jean Michel on LeCleac'h horns

Hello David,

Anyone can be convinced of that looking at the classical graph on
fig. 2 in Bjørn Kolbrek's paper in AudioXpress.

http://www.audioxpress.com/magsdirx/ax/addenda/media/kolbrek2884.pdf

and comparing the curves for the conical horn and an hyperbolic (e.g.).

This is for infinite horns therefore there is no reflexion at the mouth.

Best regards from Paris France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I dont know, maybe the "free air" Fs of this driver is above Fa anyway.
Above the Fa of this horn for sure! That is the interesting part to me.
And a classical compression driver which can reproduce the 130hz without ditortions, I do not really believe.
It probably does not exist. Maybe one of the BMS coax or the old Altec 290 "Giant Voice", or something from ALE. But none are meant to work that low are they?
So it's going to be hard or impossible to match Fa & Fs if you want to play low with a compression driver. Easier for more typical horns sizes.

Hello,

As you know I have no commercial interest in audio but I wanted to point out that my friend Marco Henry has completed a commercial version of a horn systems using 3 Le Cléac'h horns (one upper bass, one low-mid/mid and one mid-high/treble) .

Pictures of that new issue of the "Grande Castine" can be seen on Musique Concrete's website:
http://www.musique-concrete.com/MC/ENGalery.html

Below 80Hz the system is helped with a special subwoofer (not pictured) conceived by Marco Henry (from what I know it uses a large rectangular diaphragms and operates in dipole...)

The "Grande Castine" will be demonstrated soon in an Hifi shop in Paris. I'll let you know when it will be possible to listen to it and where.

The "Grande Castine" (without the subwoofer) uses 6dB/octave crossovers, it is time aligned and its efficiency is around 112 dB/1W/1m. The minimal listening distance is quite small (3 meters) and the sweet spot is large. The 3D image is fantastic. The coherence between the drivers is excellent. Marco told me that it is better to operates the "Grande Castine" inside an auditorium having minimum 50m² area.

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Last edited:
At all frequencies - I don't think so...

David

Yes, of course, I should have said "above cutoff". At cutoff there is a mass load, but even this is nearly the same for all shapes with the same throat size (if they are infinite then there is no mouth size). It's the incorrect math from Webster that predicts large differences in the throat impedance for different horn shapes. I showed in the Audio Express article (the second part) how three different horn shapes with the same throat and mouth resulted in an almost idendical response (the differences were due to the different lengths required to get the same throat and mouth areas.) And I also showed how the OS when viewed through Websters approach yields the same answer(incorrect I should note) that is found for the Exponential Horn. In Websters approach it all comes down to wall angle, which is proportional to the Divergence, which is where the mass term comes from.

At any rate, all this arguing about loading is simply not important to me and this IS Jean-Michel's thread so I'll go away.

Hello,

I don't know anyone silly enough to use in the mid a Le Cleac'h horn with a angle of aperture near throat similar to any known OS waveguide. As I said previously in that case such horn should only be used for a (supert)weeter.

Inversely I'll be interested in knowing any OS waveguide having an impedance curve similar to the AH425 or my J321... this simply doesn't exist!

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

David

Yes, of course, I should have said "above cutoff". At cutoff there is a mass load, but even this is nearly the same for all shapes with the same throat size (if they are infinite then there is no mouth size). It's the incorrect math from Webster that predicts large differences in the throat impedance for different horn shapes. I showed in the Audio Express article (the second part) how three different horn shapes with the same throat and mouth resulted in an almost idendical response (the differences were due to the different lengths required to get the same throat and mouth areas.) And I also showed how the OS when viewed through Websters approach yields the same answer(incorrect I should note) that is found for the Exponential Horn. In Websters approach it all comes down to wall angle, which is proportional to the Divergence, which is where the mass term comes from.

At any rate, all this arguing about loading is simply not important to me and this IS Jean-Michel's thread so I'll go away.

Hello,

I don't know anyone silly enough to use in the mid a Le Cleac'h horn with a angle of aperture near throat similar to any known OS waveguide. As I said previously in that case such horn should only be used for a (supert)weeter.

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h
I was actually going to try some simulations with this configuration using a 3" driver. :p

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I wonder whether showing the flaws of this and that waveguide, is it actually scaring people not to build anything
Sorry to say, but constantly seeking perfection is a dead end
That will never happen anyway
Research is very good, and some of the sims does seem very good
They are indeed very educational and informative
But building it is even better

I dont know, but there seem to be a constant battle about something I dont understand
Would be nice to join forces instead, to encourage people to just do it

Well, pictures by Jean-Michel is a great inspiration, thanks

Personallly, I will start with a couple of cheap waveguide, just to see if theres any point in it
Maybe modify them
Surely not perfect, but at least a try, and a step on the way

Its not WHAT you do, its HOW you do it
It wont get perfect, just better

Attachments

• horn.jpeg
    horn.jpeg
    89.8 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
Hello Tinitus,

Your philosophical words will surely be much appreciated by a large part of the DIYers community.

I participate(d) to many group project and to join forces around a given goal is surely something I consider very positively.

IMHO many discussion threads on DIYAUDIO can be considered as a kind of group project. In a group project technical choices has to be done at a given moment and it is quite normal that different options appear and that strong opposition between the proponents arise. This should not be considered as a fight between individuals even if the character of every of use differs from the other's one...

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

But building it is even better

Would be nice to join forces instead, to encourage people to just do it

Its not WHAT you do, its HOW you do it
It wont get perfect, just better

I like to start out with the expectation that better performance can be accomplished with deeper understanding of design aspects. I'm sure there are many DIYers that like to try what's available on the market, but I would think life would be dull if we think the limits have already been reached.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Research is very good, and some of the sims does seem very good

I quote myself, just to avoid any misunderstanding

I like to look at all the sims, or at least the few I understand
I also think much of it is very good job
I think its all very good, and positive

Still, nothings being built
My point is whether its perceived as being too complicated to make it work, and maybe scaring many people to at least give it a try
Well, its not cheap, and especially not if it fails

No doubt about it, I and probably many others have learned a lot, and got lots of inspiration
Still, very little being built

But please continue researching
I wouldnt want any other way

Last edited:
Thanks. It is MDF, and I did make this on my router - you can see some parts for the throat of the second horn to the right and behind the horn I'm holding up. It's non-symmetrical there - it has a foot attached, so it wouldn't be possible to make on a lathe. The pic below is of some of the throat parts before assembly.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Step down was between .04 and .01", although I also used an optimized machining setting that limited scallops to a height of 0.001 so in some areas it could have been finer. Basically it still needs a bit of sanding the way I cut it in order to get it perfectly smooth.

Thanks again John
Do you have any more info on your router written down anywhere?
I really do need to sit down & build one sometime.
Can only do so much w/ a manual mill & lathe...
Need to look into retrofitting them for NC also...
(Should probably take this elsewhere, as not to thread-jack).

No, I don't really have anything written on my webpage or anything like that. I just have it all in cad and my design spreadsheets. It has a 4'x4'x6" cutting envelope. Here's a pic from before it was covered in sawdust:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'm planning on upgrading it to a water cooled 3 phase spindle, THK rails and rack and pinion drive this winter to increase my cutting speed, improve cut quality and reduce maintenance. It's a lot of fun to play with but the machine itself can be a black hole for time and money if you don't watch out.