Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Jean Michel  on LeCleac'h  horns
Jean Michel  on LeCleac'h  horns
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th January 2011, 01:34 AM   #931
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

True, but the AES publication I read also agrees with controlled directivity. However, it was shown that dispersion profile and speaker location, toe-in etc. are interrelated. Additionally, if I recall correctly, a bit more beeming is required at the low frequency. This also possibly explains why people find large woofers have better bass performance than small long throw woofers.
Old 19th January 2011, 02:14 AM   #932
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
True, but the AES publication I read also agrees with controlled directivity. However, it was shown that dispersion profile and speaker location, toe-in etc. are interrelated. Additionally, if I recall correctly, a bit more beeming is required at the low frequency. This also possibly explains why people find large woofers have better bass performance than small long throw woofers.
Once signal wave-length becomes comparable to driver or horn dimensions, there is no pattern control. Larger [Sd] will yield a lesser impedance mismatch between the driver and surrounding air, until again, signal wave length becomes much greater then driver circumference. Here only a room corner (horn) will confine LF pattern. At VLF it is a pressure response in the listening space that becomes dominate. So horn, no horn issues are irrelevant, it is a matter of brute force [Vd] only. Here the larger the [Sd] the better, assuming constant [xmax].
Old 19th January 2011, 02:17 AM   #933
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzagaja View Post
Article shows directivity sonograms normalized to 0 deg where there will be always narrowing of directivity because of WG resonances and mouth diffraction. Better normalize to arbitrary angle or power response. Otherwise non axi-symmetrical WGs will always "look" better. Michael's Minphase horn seems the smoothest.
I tend to feel that normalizing to 0 deg is more usefull.
Old 19th January 2011, 02:29 AM   #934
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whgeiger View Post
Once signal wave-length becomes comparable to driver or horn dimensions, there is no pattern control. Larger [Sd] will yield a lesser impedance mismatch between the driver and surrounding air, until again, signal wave length becomes much greater then driver circumference. Here only a room corner (horn) will confine LF pattern. At VLF it is a pressure response in the listening space that becomes dominate. So horn, no horn issues are irrelevant, it is a matter of brute force [Vd] only. Here the larger the [Sd] the better, assuming constant [xmax].
At least according to some simulations I have done, it seems there might be some hope of extending pattern control with the horn. How to apply it in real application becomes a bit tricky. I am still trying to figure out what criteria should be applied.
Since pressure and velocity pattern influence how reflections occur, and thus also effect the perception due to timing and reflection pattern.
As shown below, different patterns seem to effect the room modes.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:37 PM   #935
_Wim_ is offline _Wim_  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soongsc View Post
I tend to feel that normalizing to 0 deg is more usefull.
I think it is the most logical to normalize to the listening axis (0 for a conventional setup, or for example 22 for extreme toe-in like recommended for the geddes speakers), this because you would want the direct sound to be reasonably flat, and you want to see how "bad" the off axis response will be if you use this kind of horn/waveguide in your setup.
Old 21st January 2011, 04:40 PM   #936
dede is offline dede  France
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I'm looking for a bass medium horn (for tad 1201) to go between a tad 1601 and a tad 4001 in the iwata 300. Any advice ?

Thanks and regards

Anthony
Old 21st January 2011, 06:57 PM   #937
Frode is offline Frode  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'm also interested in something that can fill in below the Iwata 300. Maybe down to somewhere in 70-100Hz range.

Frode
Old 21st January 2011, 07:45 PM   #938
diyAudio Member

200 would be fine for me i'm a little bit short in space
Old 22nd January 2011, 04:21 PM   #939
whgeiger is offline whgeiger  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Compact MB Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post
200 would be fine for me i'm a little bit short in space
Have a look at this:

10" mid bass horn - Speakerplans.com Forums - Page 1

Regards,

WHG
Old 24th January 2011, 04:32 PM   #940
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Thanks it's really nice but a bit too tricky for my building skills.

Did anybody hear about altec M17 ?

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/6414/caissealtec.jpg

Regards
Anthony

Jean Michel  on LeCleac'h  hornsHide this!Advertise here!