Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th May 2013, 01:33 PM   #1471
EBA is offline EBA  France
diyAudio Member

I put directivity in a lower priority for now, at some point and some cost factor, it can become important. But for most systems, other performance factors need to be improved significantly first. Well controlled directivity pattern, not necessarily constant, can help reduce high energy first reflections.

Yes, but enough.

It's a "normande" answer in France. Can you develop your idea please ?

Eric
Old 20th May 2013, 03:30 PM   #1472
soongsc is offline soongsc  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

For the speaker itself, here are my thoughts.
Augene - Hear the real thing!: Generating Criteria for Accurate Speakers in Listening Rooms I

On directivity, if it can be controlled within an angle such that the energy drops very quickly outside the angle, that means the first reflection from the near walls have much lower energy, and the reflections from far walls are delayed significantly as well as lower energy. The lower you can control the directivity the better. The reason I put this as a low priority is because if you do not improve the other aspects first, work on directivity will not always show an improvement, but rather just a shift in sound coloration.
Old 16th July 2013, 01:36 AM   #1473
diyAudio Member

I'm new to hornresp, and wishing to create a curve profile of Jean-Michel's horn for use with JBL 2446 CD. First of all, can hornresp spit out X/Y coordinates for plotting?

I don't want to simulate the horn/driver, I just want to create coordinates for the horn curve. Do I need the driver parameters for that?

It seems to my obtuse mind that I should just need to specify throat and mouth size and throat and mouth angle. Then that leaves length, which determines load and I guess has to do with the driver parameters. OK, so if I do need the driver parameter fields in hornresp to be populated before calculating the curve, how do I obtain the driver parameters when they are dependent on the horn with which the CD is used?

I measured my 2446J with woofertester but without a horn attached so I think those specs are useless, or am I wrong?

I have read about Jean-Michel's own spreadsheet. Is it easier to create the horn curve coordinates with this than with hornresp? Is it accurate as hornresp?

Any guidance is welcome and appreciated.
Thank you!!
Rich
Old 16th July 2013, 02:44 AM   #1474
diyAudio Member

I found the English spreadsheet JMLC_Horn_facets.xls. It appears to offer what I am looking for.

Any advice on what cutoff I should use for the JBL2446 CD? I don't know the resonant freq.
Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 07:09 AM   #1475
diyAudio Member

Hi Rich,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richidoo View Post
First of all, can hornresp spit out X/Y coordinates for plotting?
Yes. See the "Export Horn Data" section in the Hornresp Help file for details.

Quote:
I don't want to simulate the horn/driver, I just want to create coordinates for the horn curve. Do I need the driver parameters for that?
No - any values will do.

Quote:
It seems to my obtuse mind that I should just need to specify throat and mouth size and throat and mouth angle.
The Horn Segment Wizard tool provides several different options for input parameters.

Kind regards,

David
Old 16th July 2013, 01:33 PM   #1476
diyAudio Member

Thank you David, and Thanks to Jean-Michel, both of you for sharing your genius creations with us DIY'ers.
Old 31st July 2013, 07:05 PM   #1477
diyAudio Member

Does anybody know the exact exit angle of JBL 2446? Searching diyaudio.com returns varying values, 4.67, 4.9, 5.0 degrees.

Is JBL 2446 CD one of those CDs which would benefit from changing the T coefficient from 0.8 in order to improve the LF impedance? I am using the 2007 spreadsheet with a 200Hz cutoff.

Thanks!
Rich
Old 31st July 2013, 07:40 PM   #1478
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Does anybody know the exact exit angle of JBL 2446? Searching diyaudio.com returns varying values, 4.67, 4.9, 5.0 degrees.

Is JBL 2446 CD one of those CDs which would benefit from changing the T coefficient from 0.8 in order to improve the LF impedance? I am using the 2007 spreadsheet with a 200Hz cutoff.

Thanks!
Rich
2446 is the old design with 182 Hz long throat. You should probably look at 2447 which has much shorter throat and an exit of 1½ inch. There are later models as well but a bit more expensive.

If you still want the exit angle of 2446 you can use hornresp to find it. The throat is probably exponential, has 49 mm exit and its cutoff is 182 Hz.

Mårten
Old 31st July 2013, 08:11 PM   #1479
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Searching diyaudio.com returns varying values, 4.67, 4.9, 5.0 degrees.
The midpoint between those is ~4.84 degrees. Using that value you'd have a max error of 0.17 degs. Just how close do you need to be?
Old 31st July 2013, 08:55 PM   #1480
more10 is offline more10  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

4,67 according to my hornresp calculation.

Last edited by more10; 31st July 2013 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Corrected my statement

Hide this!Advertise here!