Realistic Minimus-7 how to - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th March 2009, 09:22 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default N channel

There is more to go with the minimus 7 I think, my internal wiring is standard, improving that may bring benefits. I plan to strip down and spray the inside of the metal cabinet walls with car body stone chip protection paint, it sets rubbery. The spring clip terminals would need to be replaced with proper binding posts. Getting a good seal on all the drivers and tweeter plate is important, maybe by using a really thin bead of sticky tac or modellers clay. Ive even considered making miniature plywood cabinets for them, as per the ls3/5a, and even bolting the woofer behind the front baffle the same as the ls3/5a, and using tygan material for the grill cloth maybe. Ultimately, they are a near field speaker, but set up correctly, and bearing in mind they cost me about $30 all in, they have turned into an audio bargain, fast tight sound, pinpoint imaging, big soundstage, they take you right into the music, and they are really musical, bargain, but you have to address the brightness with L-pad to get them sounding right, in conjunction with the crossover mod. Also IMO you have to listen with the grilles off, with them on they just mess things up sound wise.

The Elmers glue from memory is just white standard elmers glue, I mixed in a pea sized dab of black acrylic hobby paint just to make the drivers look almost black, thats mainly cosmetic though.

Ive tried running 2 pairs stacked, paralell and series, sounded awful, and I even made a pair of minimus 7 subs by taking the tweeters out of another pair and sticking tube in the hole about 4" long, fair amount of bass for the size but couldnt integrate them into anything to get a good sound, best with a standard pair with mods, but the chip amp sounds good, there isnt much room in the cabs though, my e-bay crossovers are glued to the side on the inside.

They really need to be on stands, with the backs about 5" from the wall and toed in a bit, maybe 3 degrees for best results IMO.

Im using the old faithful sony PS1 playstation as a source, another surprising bargain. With a small t amp, maybe the trends audio, this would be a killer system for not much $$.
Old 28th March 2009, 12:23 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Im in Victoria too

Quote:
Mark
Goddard?

dave
Old 28th March 2009, 12:31 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: N channel

Quote:
Originally posted by Minimuslover7
The Elmers glue from memory is just white standard elmers glue, I mixed in a pea sized dab of black acrylic hobby paint just to make the drivers look almost black, thats mainly cosmetic though.
A fallback from ModPodge... to get black i usually use black ink which also thins it as required. I've been doing all my dark cones with black of late -- they turn out really well. The ones attached were 2 shades of grey before i started in on them.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eastech-woofers.jpg (75.8 KB, 470 views)
Old 31st March 2009, 09:25 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Tune up

Just sealed the woofers and tweeter plate with sticky tac, really thin bead, seems to have tightened the sound up a wee bit, and I have angled them in slightly more, only maybe 1 degree, they are really focussed now, and clean, superb. I think I enjoy listening to them as much as anything I have had in the past, they play music. I swapped back to a standard pair, no mods, just to get an idea of the difference, the un modded pair are almost unlistenable now, forward, screetchy and unbalanced, so the work seems to have paid off.
Old 31st March 2009, 10:19 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

"Made an L-pad fro the tweeter to knock them down 3dB"

Minimuslover7, would you post details of the L-pad?

I've got a pair of M7's that I use in my office connected to a MyRefC, got the upgraded crossovers, cabinet damping and I painted two lite coats of PVA on the woofers and I think the L-pad would be the a great mod to incorporate.

Thanks.

T.D.
Old 31st March 2009, 11:15 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default L-pad

If you go on sengpielaudio L-pad calculator on the internet, put in 8 ohms for the load, then put in the attenuation you require, I put in 3 dB, press calculate, it tells you to put a 2.34 ohm resistor in series, and a 19.39 in paralell. I think I managed to get something like 2.4 and 20 ohm ones, I got metal oxide resistors. It eas all very non scientific as im not sure if the Minimus 7 is a true 8 ohm load overall, thats what it says on the back, but they sound really good with this mod in my opinion. Let me know if you need any more details,
Old 13th September 2009, 08:01 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Minimus 7 update

My L-Pad knocked the treble down 3 dB, so technically they should have been pretty flat as they are 3 dB bright in the first place, ive just knocked them down another 1 dB, so they have been knocked down 4 dB in total from standard, they now sound even better even though they are -1dB in the top end. I felt that the treble was still a little exhuberant at higher volumes, now it seems very intergrated, im still amazed what modded 7's can do, standard ones are diamonds in the rough. Im using a Leak stereo 70 I found in a second hand shop, mint for $35, sublime. Think I will stick with that for now.

Mark

Last edited by Minimuslover7; 13th September 2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 14th September 2009, 05:27 AM   #18
R.I.P.

All known Minimus 7 crossover mods measured and compared, and a new one developed, ten total, here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=199790

You have to be registered to view the images. Tell 'em Zilch sent ya....
Old 14th September 2009, 07:40 AM   #19
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Zilch... could you poat your preferred solution here please... that thread over there is awefully long to wade thru.

dave
Old 14th September 2009, 09:52 AM   #20
R.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Zilch... could you post your preferred solution here please... that thread over there is awfully long to wade thru.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...46#post2980246

~$15 apiece to upgrade them, my final measurements of the pair are here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...&postcount=252

Verified by another upgrader across the country here:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...&postcount=320

Dennis Murphy found the thread recently; I'm hoping he'll have opportunity to also confirm the design....

Last edited by ZilchLab; 14th September 2009 at 10:21 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!