Does placing the woofer above the tweeter effect the crossover in a two-way design?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm in the process of building a known two-way design and I've discovered I'm constrained to placing the woofer above the tweeter. The speaker will be the same, just inverted vertically. Does this effect the crossover? I think not because the baffle size stays the same, distance between tweeter and woofer, driver placement on the baffle with respect to edges in general, but it's now inverted. The tweeter will still be at ear height, but the woofer will now be above ear height instead of below it. Any feedback?

Tweeter location on the baffle will have changed quite a bit, so yes it is affected. If the phase alignment of the drivers including crossover isn't perfect, which is often the case with 2-way speakers, then the vertical polar response is inverted.

Use this to simulate Baffle Diffraction:
FRD Baffle Diffraction Simulator

Special case sort of. I should have mentioned this. These are in-wall speakers, so the baffle is flush with the wall of the room. However, even for a traditional box speaker, imagine just turning a small bookshelf speaker upside down and raising it's stand so that the tweeter is still at ear height. The tweeters GENERAL baffle placement has not changed (still same distance from edges, just different edges).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.