Celestion SL6si

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Do any of you have these speakers, I have a pair and they image quite well, but are pretty soft sounding on the upper end. Has anyone analyzed the crossovers in these to see if there are simple changes that would brighten them up a bit ?

The imaging on these is great, but they do sound dull.
THanks

I had the Sl6 some years ago, I figure the SL6i must be a slightly newer edition of the same speaker.

One obvious Xover upgrade would be to replace the original cheap NP caps with Solen or similar caps not only because the latter are better but also because the originals may have degraded over the decades and may not be performing as good they once did. If I recall well the Xover is pretty simple so this shouldn't cost you much.

The speaker is not very efficient to say the least, beasty amp is required for drawing the impressive bass they can muster (for the size and era) so I don't think it's worth spending a week's pay on esoteric caps for this speaker as you would hardly notice any difference. Start with good honest cap instead.

Don't change the Xover values when overhauling parts, and it's better to leave the original inductors in place.

I have the Celestion SL6, the original series with copper dome.: great speakers, amazing sound, these speakers really sing!:cool: : natural, lot of details superb voices>. I recently changed the old alcap capacitors with the same, but new original Alcap ..is important to respect exactly the same values& powers of Celestion crossover component..because the crossover is sophisticated and not at all tolerant to other capacitors type.
Now the sound is sooo fresh...but just look another personal review here:
Celestion SL6 Speakers ( Copper Domes) - Page 2 - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

BTW, I had the same problem with the soft sound and has been solved when I changed the old NP Alcap caps.
Is true, changing the old caps with some new &modern caps change the sound, depend whay you expect from the sound..BUT the detail, this holographic image and especially voices presence will be dramatically changed. I haved this experience with modern audiopfiller MKP caps like Solen, bennic, mundorf that have added extra details, more extended bass..but tyring and no natural, the sound was somewhat mixed. And finnaly I put a NEW pair ORIGINAL ALCAP caps from England, at the same vaule and p[ower>the result? THE GREAT SOUND IS BACK! :cool:so, if you want to change the old electrolithic I recomand you to NOT pay for expensive and exotic caps. The Celestion sl6 have a very well calculated and rigid engineering crossover project. So , any changed must be carefull operated.
cheers,
if you look for celestion Alcaps original, you're lucky because the manufacture exist in England , i'm talkig about FalconAcustic LTD -a very serious, and they can send you by mail the Alcap.
Falcon Acoustics | The Leading DIY Speaker Parts and Kit Supplier since 1972

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.