DIY inductors with parallell thinner wires

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
if I instead of using say a single 2 mm2 crossare wire, used several thinner wires parallell (with equal cross area,and individually insulated) , randomly aranged , would it be equivalent to a single wire when calculating inductance ?

Sort of a Litz wire...

Or would it be a mix of parallelled inductors or what would it turn out to be?

This taken in account of course the fact that the formulas are not exact.

/rickard

Skin effect

I think "skin effect" is singnificant only at very high frequencies - typically at RF . I think the electrons are still 'swimming' around most of the wire at audio frequencies. I am sure some will disagree.
A good idea will be to try out the tweeter coil with the two schemes. The coil will be smaller and easier to wind 'and' it will carry the highest audio frequencies. There might be other reasons why it might sound better! Anyone ?
Cheers.

I wasnt thinking about skin effekt, since it has little influence in the audio range, but rather that it would be easier to obtain say 1mm wire and parallell this than obtaining 2-3 mm diameter wire in reasonable length.

I have tried some places around here in Sweden but it is either 100 gr- 1kg or really large spools. The later is quite a lot of money...

1 kg is only 35 m 2 mm wire, and still not enough...plus I got about 2 kg of 1 mm transformer wire lying around somewhere in my mess...

Probably has to dampen out vibrations to bu impregnate it with some form of varnish e t c but that is doable.

/rickard

Ashok

it probably is trivial at audio, I agree, but by reducing the "skin effect" you enhance the "productivity" of the wire, you enhance di/dt. what most audio amateurs engage in, myself included, is trivial to those who listen to boom boxes.

i know it's important at RF -- and I did somewhere see mention of an SMPS transformer wound with Litz -- in these circuits you have very rapid turn-on and turn-off so any impedance can dramatically impinge upon efficiency.

some time ago i actually trie this.

i used thin wire for all my XOs and paralleled them for the wofoer XO (the tweeter XO was single wire). I did not think of skin effect. I was just looking for the woofer Xo tohandle more power and have a lower DCR.

the parallel inductoer souded better. yes. to my ears it soudned more alive. both the parallel and solid core were air core and core dia was similar. the parallel inductor was a 40mm square core the solid wire was a 50mm round core

i am going to try these inductoers again in my next project.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.