Request for advice on replacing surrounds+help identifying speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
G'day,
This is my first post so...I live in Melbourne and I find and repair things compulsively because...well I just do. I am so poor I could not adequatly describe my financial position with out offending the moderators and being immediately disqualified from the forum. But I do appreciate quality so I just have to wait arround until a worthy something falls in my lap that needs a small repair job. Thats how I get stuff.

I found these JPWs at the op shop yesterday with $15 on the sticker. The surrounds were absolutely shredded so I thought it was a great chance to learn to replace surrounds and get some quality speakers. I left the covers off so that people would see that the surrounds were gone and not want to buy them and that was the fatal mistake çause some philistine has come along and folded the cone to see inside the box and left the cone all creased...Aaargh! If I could get my hands on them, why I'd offend the moderators some more describing what I'd do to them...

So the question is folks, Is it still worth replacing the surrouds on this speaker or is it now going to need more work? More than I can do myself I fear...Oh and does anyone know what model they are and how they should match with my Luxman L-435?

Thank You

HI

It is difficult to guess the model without seeing a picture - did you post one?

Again it is difficult to advise if it can be repaired without a picture or more information.

However I have repaired speakers with damaged cones and I have replaced both rubber and foam surrounds. The main question is can you move the cone in and out without any scraping sound? If you can then the coils are probably ok.

It would help if you gave more info on the surround material.

Don

I did try to attach a photo...trying again. I talked to my local speaker shop guy (who likes me much more than the hi-fi guy) and he told me to water down pva glue and paste it around the back of the cone. Anyone had luck with this before. There is no scraping sound but I do feel a kind of resistance when I push it in and out. The surround does not appear to be paper but I'm not sure what it is.

Hi
There should be resistence. No scraping is good; so the speaker is probably ok if you stiffen the cone around the crease with watered down glue and then add a new surround.

The way I have added surrounds is to find a material similar to that originally in the cone ; ie rubber or foam. The closer to the original material the better. Then cut a disc 1cm larger than the diameter of the outside of the speaker frame. Then cut a smaller disc out of that first disc that is about 1cm less than the diameter of the paper cone. Glue the inside edge to the paper cone and then the outside edge to the speaker frame. I have used a rubber solution gule.Just take care to keep the cone central in tyhe speaker coil whilst gluing in place.

Don

Thanks for your help so far amv8...hope someone is still willing to have a look at this picture, I shrank it right down. what ratio should I be making with the glue and water? And can anyone point me to the stats for this speaker?
Thanks again

Attachments

• img_0201.jpg
    img_0201.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 58
If you have access to an ohmeter take a measurement of the DCR to make sure it is not open.
Get a low power audio source and hook-up to hear.
I have repaired woofer that had no surrounds ( like yours ). I just bought commercially available surround kits, because they are only $20 - $30 ( US ) for a pair.

I would be interested to see a surround fabricated from scratch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.