My latest: Open baffle mid, Lambda TD12H, B&C 6md38, Peerless HDS - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd March 2009, 12:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default My latest: Open baffle mid, Lambda TD12H, B&C 6md38, Peerless HDS

I call these the BaSSlines. They were inspired by a pair of speakers I heard last year designed by Jeff Bagby and Jim Salk of Salk Sound (hence the BaSS in the name). They are a 3way using a 12" Lambda TD12H in a 52 liter, slot ported cabinet (F3 around 35hz) with an open baffle B&C 6md38 6.5" midrange and a Peerless HDS tweeter mounted in a shallow waveguide. The sensitivity is probably around 92db.

I hope to have the finish wrapped up in the next week or two and then will make final crossover tweaks, if any, and publish the completed design. I used a small spare room we have upstairs to do the finishing in, since it is easier than doing out in the garage this time of year. I etched the logo on the Lexan with by hand with a dremel using vinyl stencils (that John over at AE speakers did for me, thanks John!) as a guideline.

There is a more complete build thread here:The BaSSlines

Thanks for looking.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to trusound
wow... great looking speakers... great color,theme and good use of mixed mediums...

how do they sound
Old 3rd March 2009, 01:52 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks.

I'm thrilled with how they sound. IMHO, they are my best work so far and are up there with the best I recall hearing at DIY events over the last few years. Wide and deep soundstage, very clean and dynamic and forgiving of all kinds of material.
Old 3rd March 2009, 04:19 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Super job Dan. They look really nice.

Regards,
John
Old 3rd March 2009, 08:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Very nice looking pair of speakers

Why skip the OB bass? Those could easily be H-frames.
Old 3rd March 2009, 11:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Those are great! I love the look and the and the different materials used. Very creative!

I have been thinking of something similar with a Hawthorne 10" coax and a AE'TD10s in a ported box for the lows. Looking for an alternative to Dipole bass, some living spaces are just too picky on placement for a full Dipole system. I figure the Lamda series would work well with the speed of the 10" Hawthorn drivers 95db spl.

Are yo happy with the AE Drivers so far?

-Jamie-
Old 4th March 2009, 01:45 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gainphile
Very nice looking pair of speakers

Why skip the OB bass? Those could easily be H-frames.
Thanks.

This speaker was inspired by a prototype designed by Jeff Bagby and Jim Salk. When I heard it at the InDIYana DIY event last April, I just knocked me out. I thought it was the best speaker I have heard and it inspired me to see if I could duplicate it's sound. It used the same Lambda TD12H woofer, but a PHL mid and Morel dome tweeter. Anyway, dipole bass was never an option I even considered for this design. I'm not sure it would be right for my listening room anyway.
Old 4th March 2009, 01:52 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by penderaudio
Those are great! I love the look and the and the different materials used. Very creative!

I have been thinking of something similar with a Hawthorne 10" coax and a AE'TD10s in a ported box for the lows. Looking for an alternative to Dipole bass, some living spaces are just too picky on placement for a full Dipole system. I figure the Lamda series would work well with the speed of the 10" Hawthorn drivers 95db spl.

Are yo happy with the AE Drivers so far?

-Jamie-
Thanks. I'm very pleased in how it turned out, both aesthetically and from a sound quality standpoint. I had used the combination of exotic wood veneer, metal and acrylic in a previous design and I wanted to take it a step further. I also wanted to reduce the apparent mass of the speaker in the room and making the top section predominantly transparent really does this quite successfully. I've always liked mixed hardwoods in furniture.

The TD12H I'm using in this design is the best woofer I've used and IMHO, the best I've heard. It is literally flat out to about 4khz and is very clean, extremely dynamic and works in a pretty small box, as you can see.
Old 4th March 2009, 05:23 AM   #9
SamL is offline SamL  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

Very nice looking speaking. Is there any reason why the bass driver is so near to the floor and away from the mid? Won't you get bass boom from such arrangement?
Old 4th March 2009, 06:56 AM   #10
thadman is offline thadman  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SamL
Very nice looking speaking. Is there any reason why the bass driver is so near to the floor and away from the mid? Won't you get bass boom from such arrangement?
It's placement was chosen to avoid interference from floor bounce in the lower midrange.

Hide this!Advertise here!