ok raise your frequencies if you knew about this website

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well I hope they join up with silver flute

I could see maybe why the decided to hop over the ocean
look at silver flute speaker specs on their cone speakers and look up precision audio equipment combine all these together with the Norway research and we may have a company called silverfluted symphony, just joking on the name but if they combine their research and equipment watch out. But we will have to wait and see.

DcibeL said:
I'm pretty sure Scan-Speak is not going to join forces with Silver Flute.

It was a theoretical situation. I think what McMahon48 meant is that Asian drivers are not all white van speaker drivers, some -mainly Hi-Vi and Silver Flute- produce drivers that can give a few Western brands a pretty good run for their money, at a lower cost. These drivers can be integrated into European and North American designs to yield same quality speakers for less money, hypothetically speaking.

Hypothetically because high-end speaker manufacturers usually prefer to sell products at a higher profit yield than to pass the saving on to their customers. For example, Totem hasn't lowered its prices when it switched from Dynaudio to Hi-Vi as their midbass driver supplier. Why should they? Speakers sound the same so as long as the market bears it the situation won't change. But the pressure is building up, a few brands such as Wharfedale are now offering products using Chinese made drivers that sound quite good, much better than anything that could be found at the same price a decade ago.

Very interesting. I wondered how long Tymphany would last. I see the split closes the US base of operations and moves everything to China (excpt the Danish split off). Several more loudspeaker engineers and managers in the job market I would guess. I know many of the Tymphany principles and always wondered how long it would last as their business model did not seem viable to me and with this downturn that model seemed even less viable.

gedlee said:
. I know many of the Tymphany principles and always wondered how long it would last as their business model did not seem viable to me and with this downturn that model seemed even less viable.

What is/was the model? principles?

US - Investment & Management w/some engineering
EU - Engineering & Design
Asia - Manufacturing
Sales?Distribution?

Seems fair given the push for global.

Tymphany was originally setup to market the LAT which was supposed to revolutionize the woofer business. But the principles in the company at that time thought that they would need a "full array" of products to support the woofer, and visa-versa so they bought up several hi-end loudspeaker manufacturers and moved the manufacturing to China. The later part of this was sensible, but the part which relied on the success of the LAT never happened. So they were left with struggling brands which had no market differentiation (with no LAT) and a huge array of far lower cost competitive products. Lower cost because ALL of the work - management and engineering - was done in China. But the Chinese companies are going out of business right and left because the market is over saturated and the margins are not enough to stay in business in a downturn.

In the marketplace, brand in loudspeakers is becoming a commodity. Anybody can make a good loudspeaker (good enough at least) and brand is no longer a competitive advantage.

Hence, in the end Tymphany did not have anything that any other Chinese manufacturer didn't have, except high North American overhead costs.

Well they have solved that now and they are indeed on a level playing field with all the other Chinese loudspeaker manufacturers who are going out of business.

infinia said:

Interesting
Maybe they forgot the Marketing part of the business equation.

No, I think quite the opposite. They were counting on brand and marketing (which they did take very seriously) to carry the sales and costs. But, as I said, brand and marketing are loosing ground in audio as the consumer no longer believes in the "brand promise". They see no reason to buy "premium" products because they all sound the same. Do you blame them? The entire audio business model is changing dramatically. It was changing fast when the downturn hit, but this current situation will change the face of audio forever.

gedlee said:
The entire audio business model is changing dramatically./B]

Dramatically for the better in my opinion. For the most part, at least.

I hope that Tymhany will succeed, LAT or not. There are lots of great products in the Peerless and Vifa (or V-line or whatever they're calling it now) lineups. I just hope that with all the changes of manufacturing to Asia that they can keep the quality under control.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.