broken SF woofer?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of used Sonus Faber Concertinos I bought and i noticed that at higher volumes I would get an occassional crackling out of one of the speakers. I am driving them with a hafler 280XL...so no clipping is evident...I am wondering if the driver is hurting. If so...Is there a successful was to replace this driver and keep the sound coherent...I believe this was produced by scanspeak.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi,

If the sound is a bit like a scratch then your driver is hooped. You can check it by turning the amp off and pushing in on the cone from the dust cap and listening for the scratchy.

If it is more like a crack, then chances are you are bottoming the coil out on the back plate. Provided you haven't done it too many times, you're probably OK. It means the driver is being pushed too hard.

Checked it

Thanks for the tip...I checked both sides and there doesn't seem to be any problem with scratchiness...of course...it could be a tweeter, but then it would do it all the time. The crackling only happens on the left channel...mostly with loud, fast transients like a orchestral tympani smash.

Hi,

Swap your left and right speakers, if the problem transfers to the
right channel something may be wrong. Then swap the bass/mid
unit in the two speakers, if it goes back to the left you likely do
have a dodgy driver - seems hard to find any information.

:)/sreten.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.