Custom Studio Monitors - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2009, 04:52 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Yes, it was partly due to a cost thing, but I was working on the advice of some of my customers, and noticed that some of the specs crossed over nicely (certain freq's and wattages, and SPL's, again, this is using what I have learned thru live sound, though I admitt that concert sound systems are a different kettle of fish).

I had an Audiophile come in who thought these two would work quite well together, but, different folks different strokes!

I have access to cheap HiVi at my work, so I might consider a different woofer to match my tweeter, as I have heard other good things about this tweeter.

Which woofer would you advise?
Old 28th February 2009, 06:14 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by noelburke82

I have access to cheap HiVi at my work, so I might consider a different woofer to match my tweeter, as I have heard other good things about this tweeter.

Which woofer would you advise?
Well, if you're going to stick with HiVi, I'd say go with their F8. That beautifully flat FR means it's going to be pretty easy to work with.

I myself came from the live sound world, and I have to tell you that HiFi speakers are a whole different ball game. Things that matter in live sound (impedance matching, wattage ratings, operating frequency, directivity) are only a tiny part of the picture with HiFi speakers.

In fact, this is all starting to remind me of an event in my life that happened about 10 years ago, long before I got into DIY. A friend and I were attempting to build some studio monitors using some cool-looking drivers and enclosures. The result sounded really pathetic. So I went to the library and checked out a few books on speaker design; I saw tons of graphs and charts and knew I was in way over my head. Sad to say, it scared me away from building speakers for at least 7 or 8 years.

Hide this!Advertise here!