Griffin "27" Omega 3 Loudspeakers - Opinions?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Big apologies for the late reply! Had a bit of a mad week, more madness to come for the rest of the week.

Anyway, here's the pics - watch out, they're quite big, the crossover was attached to the rear of the cabinet in the case of my speakers, lots of high quality wool in there!

Anywho:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Yeah that's right they're Griffin 25's.

I bought them from a local chap in Exeter, he owns a small shop called the Emporium.

Nice chap, he has an alladins' cave of the best 1970's HiFi equiptment anyone could imagine, these Griffin 25's were pretty much BNIB, they have been used before, but only very lightly, and play like new.

I actually prefer them to my Bowers & Wilkins DM600 series 5.1 setup I used to have hooked up to an Onkyo TX-SR605 amp, a setup which cost over £1000 a couple of years ago, but these are more open with a much more detailed high end.

Good stuff!

If you google Emporium Exeter you should find their phone number, no website I'm afraid, and it's not a "They" it's a "Him" lol just one chap!

Top bloke, don't know whether he'll have any more griffins kicking around probably best leave him your number and ask him to give you a call when he comes accross some.

Ah - here's his number - 01392 277 417.

Wouldn't bother him unless you can get to Exeter, ofcourse!

Griffin Omega 3

Hi

I still have a pair of Griffin Omega 3's which I purchased in Sutton Coldfield in the late 70s that served me well for many years.

Have sort of left them to one side in recent years having persuaded myself (maybe wrongly?) that I should be using modern loudspeakers that can be biwired/biamped, use cones made of metal, use a sub-woofer etc etc.

I can recall visiting Griffin's premises in West Bromwich? to have a small repair on the cabinet of one speaker. The staff were very helpful and gave me a bit of a tour. The cabinets were made by a company next door who's main line was coffins from memory, but they did a great repair job anyway.

Hope the nostalgic intrusion doesn't offend.

Best wishes,
Gordon

G85s

Hi
I left Griffin in 1981.
The crossovers you picture look like Griffin 25`s (also three way). The Aperiodic crossovers I`m familiar with had 5 tin can capacitors and were more complex than the ones pictured.
Where did you buy them from?

Hello Deaks50, If you are still around? Great to hear about your time at Griffin.

Anyway I've just bought a pair of 85s but one of the mid-range units is rattling, any ideas (repair/replacement/equivalents).

Also of interest i've seen a bigger version twin bass, triple super tweeter, i've an idea they were G115s, do you have any info?:cubist:

Griffin 27 UK

I'm helping a mate clear out his fathers large collection of HiFi. On the list is a pair of Griffin 27. That's all I know so far, will be gathering info on Friday. Anyone interested can make offer here.

Minimum price for anything is £15 original box or £20 unboxed (because I have to pack it) or £10 collection (UK, Bristol)

Aperiodic

Hi
A high quality mike positioned directly in front of the cone/dome was used to map high spots in the frequency response of the driver, which were then filtered out passively in the crossover.
It was an idea inspired by the tri amplified Griffin 85 speakers with electronic crossovers and "tandem line" actively braked bass
system (a fantastic speaker-and very advanced for it`s time).

hi deaks50,
it must have been very exciting working at griffin loudspeakers ltd.
would you know whether the frequency response of the drivers were performed in an anechoic chamber?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.