diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   TL projekt idea (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/139138-tl-projekt-idea.html)

Vigo 23rd February 2009 11:56 AM

TL projekt idea

I have 4 Peerless 6,5" speakers.http://www.tymphany.com/830875

I am thinking about using them to bild a couple of new
speakers to have at home.

I am intressted of trying to build som TL lines of them with 2 speakers in each.

Will it work with these speakers in a TL line??
I have never built a TL speaker before sow my knowlage about them is limited.

I am thankful for any advice?

johngalt47 23rd February 2009 05:25 PM

Well, the simulation using Martin King's older ML TQWT worksheet indicates that it is possible.

How tall did you want the boxes to be?

Vigo 23rd February 2009 05:54 PM

Ok sounds good,

I dont mind how high they are aslong as they are not more then 2m high.

Can you give me any more detials what the simulations says?, i whould appreciate that sow i have something to start with.

johngalt47 23rd February 2009 10:41 PM

As a starting point you can try 115 cm. The area can be 2.5 Sd and the port 7.5 cm x 20 cm. The centerline between the drivers (the centerline of the tweeter) can be 25% down from top.

But that is just a starting point, not necessarily the final dimensions.

pkitt 23rd February 2009 11:39 PM

Re: TL projekt idea

In addition to you wanting to limit the height to 2 meters, do you have any other wants or restrictions? For instance, what F3 were you hoping for and how wide and deep can the box be? I've already done some modeling as an ML-TL using Martin King's worksheets and the results were very promising. I could also explore a tapered TL and, perhaps, an ML-TQWT.

Quote:

Originally posted by Vigo
I have 4 Peerless 6,5" speakers.http://www.tymphany.com/830875[/URL]

I am thinking about using them to bild a couple of new
speakers to have at home.

I am intressted of trying to build som TL lines of them with 2 speakers in each.

Will it work with these speakers in a TL line??
I have never built a TL speaker before sow my knowlage about them is limited.

I am thankful for any advice?

Vigo 24th February 2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by johngalt47
As a starting point you can try 115 cm. The area can be 2.5 Sd and the port 7.5 cm x 20 cm. The centerline between the drivers (the centerline of the tweeter) can be 25% down from top.

But that is just a starting point, not necessarily the final dimensions.

Ok thank you very much for the help this gives me a better start.

I just have a few things i wonder.
With 115cm i guess that that is the hight of the speaker and that would give a total line lenght of 230cm, have i understod correct?

When you say that center between the speakers is 25% from the top, what distans scould i have between them or just as close as possible?

Thankyou agin for your help:up:

Vigo 24th February 2009 06:28 AM

Re: Re: TL projekt idea

Quote:

Originally posted by pkitt
In addition to you wanting to limit the height to 2 meters, do you have any other wants or restrictions? For instance, what F3 were you hoping for and how wide and deep can the box be? I've already done some modeling as an ML-TL using Martin King's worksheets and the results were very promising. I could also explore a tapered TL and, perhaps, an ML-TQWT.

Hi and thanks for you help.

If the width can be keept below 200mm thats good if possible, i am not sow pickey with the size of the thing i just want to try to get good sound. But ofcourse if can be made smaller then that is a plus.

As i dont have much experince with this kind of speaker i am not sow shure what i can hope to get from these drivers.
But if i could get a f3 around 30-35 hz that whould be great but as i said i dont even not what is possble and still make it sound "good".

Ofcourse i am intrested if you have the possiblity to test tapered TL or ML-TQWT. I tried to read some about it but i have not realy understod the strong points from the different design.

Is there any thing you can say about the good and the bad points from the different designs?

I am thankful for all help you can offer me.

Vigo 24th February 2009 09:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
From the first information i get from johngalt47
i made a frist basic drawing.
This is mostly to se that i understod it correct.

Sow i am happy for any coments on this first design.

johngalt47 24th February 2009 11:33 AM

The simulation I did was with a mass loaded quarter wave box, not a traditional transmission line.

The design you have now is a traditional transmission line.

If remove the middle divider you will have a mass loaded quarter wave box.

The length I gave was the distance from the top of the box to the floor, without a middle divider.

The 25% dimension is the centerline of the tweeter. I'm assuming you will try to place the drivers as close together as possible.

I would recommend you do a search "Clarity on Seas Thor Kit". Those threads concern themselves with modifying the original Thor. The result was a couple of different variations including a short Thor.

Also read the thread "What's the difference between a TL, a ML-TL and a TQWT?"

Vigo 24th February 2009 01:02 PM

Ok thanks,

The thread "What's the difference between a TL, a ML-TL and a TQWT?" was very good and gave me better understanding about the different designs.

But what i mostly want to try is a classic TL line that have a constant cross section or tapered down.
Is it possible to get down to a f3 around 30-35 Hz with such a design and my drivers??.

I dont mind the size sow much, but if they can be kept below about 20cm wide that is good. But the hight is not a big problem.

Thankfull for any help on this.