Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd February 2009, 10:54 PM   #21
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Moondog55
Great answer 5th, and yes! you are right I build for the sheer pleasure of the doing.

But it was a serious question, and there have been some serious answers on the subjective; perhaps; to paraphrase Robert Louis Stevenson, it is the journey itself which is important
The journey that's incredibly frustrating at times! Damnit why won't it work, scratches head for the 10th time that evening and nurses the burnt fingertips.

And then when it all, finally, comes together the sense of satisfaction = 100x that of just buying something off the shelf.

Old 22nd February 2009, 10:59 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]
And then when it all, finally, comes together the sense of satisfaction = 100x that of just buying something off the shelf.

[/B]
It is the journey that is the best bit and when its done you wonder what to do next !

I build my own amps and speaker cabinets but its not for the faint hearted especially when things dont come right straight away.
However, its the problems that make us understand better what we have done.
Old 22nd February 2009, 11:05 PM   #23
Speakerholic
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by TerryO
Acceptable is certainly a vague, yet subjectively loaded word that can certainly be used in a variety of seemly contradictory contextual patterns.
Thank you Professor Olson. I always enjoy your writings whether I understand the big words or not.

Quote:
"The music resides in the midrange, all the rest is mere adornment."
Not bad. Not bad at all

Except of course for the word "all" . I remember you teaching me that when the subject is quantifiable as 1, the resultant need not be quantified as more so the word "all" is not only unnecessary but redundant. Thank you again for that.

Quote:
[Terry Olson, ca. 1980][/B]
Let's see 87-29= 58 years old. So the year I graduated, you were writing that sort of thing? Too bad we never talked audio back then. I might have become more by now. My life as a funeral director is rather unenlightening, which in itself is rather funny as lightening has been the cause of our most, uh, well, perhaps it's time to move on.

Quote:
Originally posted by 5th element
Are we happy with acceptable? Quite clearly not
We are if acceptable is used as a pinnacle rather than a mediocre. Acceptable, to me, means you are now happy with it.

And, when I contemplate that acceptable has an expiry date, I have a better understanding of why I'm hooked on this sort of thing. Like many hobbies, it has a snowball effect.

Well...it's either that or we have no money and no real life so we hang out on computers and discuss half finished projects, plywood boxes and what we're gonna do next...you know, after payday.
Old 23rd February 2009, 01:14 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal Weldon
We are if acceptable is used as a pinnacle rather than a mediocre. Acceptable, to me, means you are now happy with it.
Acceptable to me means I am happy with it, but I know I could have done better.

Almost every part of my hifi has been acceptable at one point or another. Ergo change comes about!

I suppose it depends where you set your standards for something being acceptable. Most of the simply "acceptable" parts of my hifi at the moment are purely cosmetic, I can live with raw MDF, others could not.
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:12 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

I'm a chef by trade, to us acceptable would mean worth the price being asked on the menu.

To me that means that I have done the best I can with-in the budget set, perfection ( or a close second ) would mean an unlimited budget, unlimited time and unlimited funds, none of which I have.
So as with life ??<Speaker building is the art of compromise>??
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:22 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'm a chef by trade, to us acceptable would mean worth the price being asked on the menu.

To me that means that I have done the best I can with-in the budget set, perfection ( or a close second ) would mean an unlimited budget, unlimited time and unlimited funds, none of which I have.
So as with life ??<Speaker building is the art of compromise>??
Just about all engineering work is about compromise. A really good one will chose the trade offs that most people won't notice or care about. A good DIY speaker is the one that meets your expectations.

I would love to order a heap more AE drivers, build some more subs and have every speaker in my 2CH/HT system controlled by a DEQX, but I can't afford the $ or space to house it.
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:35 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Where do we draw the line between engineering and art?? because I notice that people are more willing to pay for "Art" than good engineering.

We both need bigger houses then don't we?? LOL
Old 23rd February 2009, 03:54 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Where do we draw the line between engineering and art?? because I notice that people are more willing to pay for "Art" than good engineering.
I don't see there is a lot of 'art' to audio, just good engineering and experience or good hunches as to where to make the compromises.

Quote:
We both need bigger houses then don't we?? LOL
I've bought a Unit, so limited space and I have a lot of stuff to sell as I'll have nowhere to store it.
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:00 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Brett; I meant "ART" in the visual aesthetic sense, high class furniture to be looked at and admired as much as listened to.
My partner and I are moving too, how the heck did I accumulate so much stuff in only 5 years, I'll need to build a huge shed for storage and a workshop if we buy the house.

SWMBO is always asking why I need five separate sound systems when we only have parties about 3 times a year
Old 23rd February 2009, 05:34 AM   #30
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

What constitutes "Acceptable " performance?

Are your feet tapping? Enjoying the music? Wanna get up & dance?

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!