Sealed box to OB? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd February 2009, 12:34 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mayhem13

Can the peak be tamed with altering the baffle dimensions or adding 'wings', or is a passive notch the only way? Can the dipole peak freq be calulated, or measured only?
Perhaps. I just haven't seen one (meaning a design with measurements). Take, for example the great looking Jamo 909. Their measurements is far from smooth. Compare them to NaO or Phoenix as a reference (unfortunately I have yet to see Orion measurements).

Many use the approach of mounting the drivers off-centre. This may flatten the on-axis response but off-axis would be worse. Again, just my reading/thinking. I havent actually built one and measure such approach.
Old 23rd February 2009, 02:14 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gainphile

Perhaps. I just haven't seen one (meaning a design with measurements). Take, for example the great looking Jamo 909. Their measurements is far from smooth. Compare them to NaO or Phoenix as a reference (unfortunately I have yet to see Orion measurements).

Many use the approach of mounting the drivers off-centre. This may flatten the on-axis response but off-axis would be worse. Again, just my reading/thinking. I havent actually built one and measure such approach.
I've referenced a few DIY OBs, and many take the approach you mentioned of offset driver alignment. I could easily try multiple alignments on the open baffle as MDF is pretty cheap...and a small price to pay to get it right. I'm fortunate to be a solo listener in my home so i don't have to share the sweet spot with anyone in my dedicated 2ch room.

In the measured freq response of the CA18RLY on an open baffle, i see the rising response of about 6db starting at 1k...is this what you're talking about?

Hide this!Advertise here!