ESS speaker rebuild project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've owned a pair of ESS AMT built in the early 70's. Like most threads, I agree the Heil is a stand out component. However, the cabinet, woofer, and x-over's left something to be desired.

I'm going to approach this project in a phased manner. I have a new pair of AMT-5 x-overs from ESS when they were still in Sacramento CA. I would be interested in the design others have used, and which components they preferred. The thought is to improve the current sound in the original enclosure. I am going to remove the woofer to check its FR.

Next, is to build a new enclosure retaining the original 2-way design. It's my understanding that Baltic Birch is a quality enclosure material, and the hardwood store in town has it in stock. I've seen a few examples how others have approached this project. If anybody has drawings to show an exact layout it would be appreciated if you could share. A question I have is about joining the panels, is it advisable to use biscuit joinery or is another method preferred to secure the enclosure.

Finally, I intend to replace the current woofer with one more appropriate. I would appreciate input as to 1. those used and 2. are they still available.

This is going to take some time, but I am looking forward to the discussion and input to help make good decisions, and get a speaker system that will fully demonstrate the benefits of the Heil AMT.

Thanks,
Bud

if you follow this link :

www.intertechnik.de/module/1385061.pdf

there is an example of a current project, sorry it is in german. It is a simple reflex box of 30 Liter.

I do not believe you wil get the AMT really well integrated with a 2 Way design. The speakers which will have some bass are simply too slow to match the AMT.

I'm currently building this design here also using the AMT :

http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/kits/son.htm

currently busy with the crossover soldering and waiting for the PHL speakers to arrive ...

DUC985

Unfortunately my 2 years of high school German were not sufficient to translate. However, schematics, graphs and pictures are close enough to be universal. :angel:

The x-over network diagrams were helpful in terms of 2 different schematics. One specific to the component level and the second conceptual by showing only grey & white. The 2 descriptions provided a better understanding of the design and configuration. I've seen a x-over network assembled by Dave at Planet 10 that looked great to my eye.

The AMT position relative to the woofer was a nice discovery. I'm wondering how others have approached this compromise with time. Since my ear is accustomed to the AMT in its original cabinet I don't have a true concept of how it will sound. I'm planning that good preparation, proper execution, and some good luck will generate an outcome quite better than now.

Now the 2nd link approaches your comment on the speed of the woofer compared to the Heil. Is that 1 woofer & 1 PR or a dual woofer construction. The cabinet looks well finished and stained. What is the thickeness, and is it Baltic Birch?

Looking forward to your reply. :nod:

Re: DUC985

Bndkoss said:

Now the 2nd link approaches your comment on the speed of the woofer compared to the Heil. Is that 1 woofer & 1 PR or a dual woofer construction. The cabinet looks well finished and stained. What is the thickeness, and is it Baltic Birch?

Looking forward to your reply. :nod:

No, it´s a 2.5 system. 1st woofer runs up 400Hz. The second up 1,800Hz.
Pls see this link for more information incl. x-over schematics, tests and measurements :

http://www.lsv-achenbach.de/images/lautsprecher/eigene/son/SON Flyer_lang.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.