Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st February 2009, 07:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Blown Polk Audio R30 Midbass, need help finding replacement!!

I am new to the site and hope I am posting in the correct area, if not, I apologize!!

Hello to all from south Florida!!

I'll really appreciate all the help and suggestion from all you pros here at DIY..I need to replace the 6.5 midbass drivers on my Polk Audio R30 towers, for some reason one has quit on me without giving me any signs of failure, no distorted sound, no crackling, absolutely nothing, so I assume it just died. I went a step further before using any testing equipment and pulled the driver on the working speaker, connected the one that seems blown and still did not produce any sound. I know there will be some sacrificing in sound matching/imaging since my 7.1 home theater set up is based on all Polk Audio R series speakers, but I'm not going to buy a new set of speaker just because one woofer died. I would much rather buy a set of good or above average quality midbass drivers that can match or come as close as possible to the original drivers that came loaded on the R30s. Thanks in advance for all the help, my budget is set at 50 to 60 per pair, this is what my setup consists of, 2 Polk R30s (Front), Polk Center Chan, 4 Polk R15s (side and rear surround), & Audio Source 10" Sub).
Old 21st February 2009, 09:36 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default try ebay

there is a place called mavin electronics that has brand new older polk audio components
just enter polk audio in the search engine and then go to the last page or close to the last page
they right now have some 5 1/4 , 6 1/2, 8, 10, 12 and some different tweeters
Old 21st February 2009, 02:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Have you checked w/ Polk to see if they have the drivers? They have excellent customer service, and support discontinued products.

http://www.polkaudio.com/

You can get a discount & free shipping IIRC, if you join their forum first, then tell them that you are a Club Polk member when you order.

Cheers, Jim
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:46 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Thank you for the suggestions guys, I checked the first website and could not find the search engine option so I gave it up, I then went to Polk's site and signed up for their forums as suggested and also sent an email in regards to what my options might be as far a warranty goes, the speakers ar only about 3 years old and only one medbass has stopped working, I hope they can replace it for me without a receipt. Im keeping my fingers crossed and hope they offer a free replacement. Again..thank you for the advice.
Old 22nd February 2009, 08:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Mcronnie try www.polkaudio/forums then click on the Club Polk site.They can help you out there.The most rabid of Polk fans.
Old 26th February 2009, 11:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I went to Polk Audio as suggested, sent them an email and still waiting. Again, thank you for the suggestions, I went ahead and bought two 6 1/2 Klipsch replacement drivers for $40, they are the same drivers used on the Klipsch SF1 series, I figure if I end up getting a replacement from Polk I can still use the Klipsch for a small project.

Hide this!Advertise here!