Tiehl / sequera

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, thats my first thread and therefor I am a little bit excited.
My problem follows:
I have a diy-loudspeaker with an old, but modified sequera-ribbon ( I think it is the model T1) on top of an 900 mm high box with an 7" thiel ceramic midbass, the thiel is in an closed 16 l box and the back of the box is diagonal, so the inner prifile has only three edges and there are no parallel sides exept the left and right side of the box.
x over is a 1,5 mH for the midbass and a 12 microfarad before the sequerra and of course a resistor to bring the level of the ribbon to that of the thiel.
Now the problem:
It sounds not that good as I hoped it should. With a audio-controller I found a lack in the 120 Hz region.
Are there any expetrts out who have any ideas to get a better sound of this parts?
Bass is not the problem because I have a good subwoofer.
The thiel plays without an high pass filter (might be a problem ?)

Hm only thing i can say is that using a first order x - over with ribbon drivers is ... not good imO.
I have few experience with ribbons , actually only one speaker. But when i used the technics ribbons i built a 3rd order x-over ...
With a lesser xover it sounded ... rubbish. Just a mess.
Ok - what about impendance compensation for your thiel / Sequerra??? Lpad for the ribbon , an RC for the Thiel ...

But that has nothing to do with your 120 Hz problem. Uhm ... maybe it´s your measuring equipment? Or like Charles said ...

As for the Thiel and highpass ... i think a 7´´ can handle a lot of noise :) If you want to use the speakers on parties , well go ahead with the highpass :)
I don´t think that you need a highpass. If you made a standard Q 0.7 you should be allright.

Cheers

After listening to my loudspeakers for years, and always knowing, that they have to be better as they are now, I decided to do something for better sound.
I spend a lot of money in the chasis and the enclosures and it is very dissapointing to know that they are far away from the best sound. I think it is not the best thing to drive the Thiel midbass with a 1st order filter to 2500 Hz, because it has membane resonces (because of the ceramic) in the 4000 Hz range and 2500 Hz is not far enough away.
So I think it might be better to try a second or third order filter.

Is there someone who tried the Thiel 7 inch ceramic midbass with 6 Ohm and an filter higher order at 2500 HZ who can give me some help with the x-over ?

The seqerra ribbon has a 10 uF capacitor and I think I too have to make a x-over with higher order. Wich inductance should I try in parallel ?
Or is a third order filter the better way to go ?

I know these are a lot of questions, but any help is welcome

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.