woofer choice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005

Attachments

• statements_monitors_0026-nw_small.jpg
    statements_monitors_0026-nw_small.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 126
GO TO THE WEBSITEs I POSTED

it has alot of helpful things and a 3 way is one of the hard ones to design due the interaction of the components you will find that there are many variation of crossovers I understand what is going on with but it is still a guessing and trial game for the calculations are just a starting point. Come and read the posts and jump in and ask questions for hopefully someone has tried it and found out what are the best choices

the question to ask yourself

how loud do I play the music
is have super low bass important look at the frequency range of musical instruments
how much space do I have
is it going to be a bookshelf or floorstanding
look for deals on good polypropylene capacitors gradually get a variety of values you will need them for fine tuning
get some precision potiometers up 100 ohm
get some 100 ohm potentiometers
here is my crossover developing jigs
learn how to brace and test for resonance
buy a book on speaker building
I would also suggest getting from PE (parts express) the http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=390-803 and this http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=500-919
I wish I could get them but I am tight on money

Attachments

• soldering and test station 2.jpg
    soldering and test station 2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 108
mcmahon48,

thanks for those links and tips. i believe once i settle down abit and understand things better i will have a good handle on where i want my first project to go and just start it.

tinitus,

yeah baby! now thats what i am talking about. those monitors are beautiful. one day i hope to be able to achieve that kind of build. i like all music except opera and rap. from heavy hitting AC/DC to blues, jazz and classical. not an afficianado just appreciate music in all its forms.

would a capable amateur with advanced skills and time building speaker systems be able to look at the parts list and decide if the parts supplied for the crossver were of quality components and suitable for the job intended.?

is there also a generic range that can be achieved that would suffice for the masses for suitable sound reproduction performance v/s cost. and would most people not involved with DIY speaker building know or be able to hear the difference?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.