Refoaming Dynaudio 21W54 & 30W54 Woofers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a pair of 21W54 and a pair of 30W54 Dynaudio woofers that need the foam surrounds replaced.

I have searched the archives, but many of the discussions that I have read are dated, and I need more current opinions.

I'm not afraid to tackle the job. However, I am leery of some of the surround kits out there and I don't know which ones are reliable, or which vendors are reliable.

I also want the correct size surrounds, and not some one size kinda sorta fits all surrounds.

I have heard that the newer foam materials will last longer than the original, so I don't want ancient surplus foam surrounds.

I'm not opposed to butyl rubber surrounds if they don't adversely affect the sonics.

I'm asking for opinions on using foam versus butyl rubber surrounds for this specific application.

I'm also looking for reliable vendors to buy the surrounds from.

If it costs a little more to buy the correct surrounds I'm willing to pay for it. However I don't want to waste my time and money on cheap crap that I will have to replace again before it's time.

Your advice will be appreciated.

Scott Novak

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Speakerbits in Australia

The title says it all. They claim to have new foam kits for your dynaudio woofers with the original specs - possibly made by Dynaudio. Found them by googling "dynaudio refoam", however, I did not buy. Too expensive for my kit loudspeakers.

Good luck.

12 inch woofer repair

You can use a slightly larger rubber surround and cut it . Overlap about 1cm and glue the edges together with a rubber based glue. Cut it at an angle and not at 90 degrees to the edge.
We did this about 10 years ago and drivers are still fine today. TS parameters changed a bit with Fs going down a bit. It works without a problem in the same enclosure. The rubber surround was bought from some company in the US. Don't recall it's name.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.