Motorola Console Salvage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Through a great community called "Freecycle", I came across an old Motorola Console Stereo. While I have some questions about the amp posted in the Tubes section, I've also got a few about the drivers.

It seems the cabinet was loaded with Jensen "Special Design" drivers in some series parallel fashion with the following and their labels:

T-High: 50K638562 / 220839 / P5-VAH / C1 6328
T-Low: 50K638577 / 220831 / P525-WA / C1 6327
Mid: 50K638576 / 220839 / P525-WA / C1 6326
15" Woofer: 50C632259-C / 220840 / P15R / C5835 3

There is an extension cabinet, loaded similarly, save the woofer is 10" and labeled:

Motorola Golden Voice / 50K642740 / 575826

Each 4-driver compliment is 8-ohm. The only crossover component is an orange cardboard-cased 5uF Motorola cap that acts as high pass to the two "tweeters". With a finger tap, you can tell that the two "tweeters" are sporting different resonances. Everything else is running full range.

Any help is sorting out what I've got here would be most appreciated. All the magnets, including the 15" driver's, are very small, so my guess would be Alnico. I will try to post picks within the next couple of days. But, if anyone might know what these are and if they are worth hanging on to, that would be fantastic. Any posts of "They're junk, just ship them to me" will be a dead give away!

Last bit: all the cabinets were "open" backed in the sense that a protective hardboard cover was over the backs, but was full of ~1.5" holes. So, I've very tempted to throw the mid and two tweets on a narrow open baffle with some monopole bass support. The small magnets and low mass should be good in OB, yes?

Working on it...give me a day. You will see the backdrop of a major renovation in one of the images.

But, the "mids" and "tweeters" are different in that the mids have ribs and the tweeters are smooth. Both have round holes as the open space rather than what is now a typical basket. The largest magnet on the 15" is not much larger than a votive candle (was the first visual reference looking around the LR).

Two other interesting aspects are that the surround is paper and formed into the cone and that the mids/woofers have a seam in the cone from what I imagine to be the forming process.

Pictures to follow in a day or so...

Front of "Low" Tweet (left) and Mid

Attachments

• low t-m front copy.jpg
    low t-m front copy.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 295
My moto console has two tweets, a mid on each side, and a 12" mono. All are "golden voice" which I've read could have been OEM'd by a couple of different vendors. I know that the folks over at audiokarma have a dedicated thread to the moto consoles, but I haven't done my research. Mine is a 1955 model. The console is working hard keeping my climbing gear off the floor of the garage, otherwise I'd have a model number for you.

It sounded great before I took out the electronics.

I have seen other threads on other boards where there were actually three output channels: L and R for mids/highs and a "sub" channel for the mono bass drivers. The output transformers were different sizes. This one has only the L and R P-P stages. The power transformer is rather large, but it driving the outputs and all the signal, tuner, and phone stage tubes.

Drivers on this are wired series-parallel. Each group (15"-M-T-T and 10"-M-T-T) are 8-ohm total.

As we are in the middle of serious and urgent remodel (baby number three expected in September!), I packed them up before any measurements were made. So, the thread may hang for a while for my part of build/test. But, discussion about info, what to do, or experiences are very welcomed and appreciated.

I am actually going to use the mids and tweeters to build a narrow OB like gainphile used for S7 with bass drivers outboard to main baffles:

http://gainphile.blogspot.com/

But, I would be very interested in the re-build of the amp section. The tuner unit was trashed, but I was able to get the tubes out of it.

Were the drivers trashed or would you be interested in a sale/trade? The woofers are a mis-match of 10/15". So, a matched set would be nice to play with.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.