Things that go bump in the night... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th February 2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Fuling is offline Fuling  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Default Things that go bump in the night...

Hi

My interest in DIY audio stuff reached new levels when me and my GF bought a house last summer.
Before moving out of the apartment I gathered a large pile of stuff that I didnīt want to bring along to our new home, stuff like kVA-sized power transformers and such and let the guys at hififorum.nu know that anyone could come and pick it up for free.
A guy from another town came and took the lot.

A while later, while planning an OB project, the same guy let me know that he had four 15" woofers that I could have for free.
When I went to pick them up he also offered me two large EV mid horns that I couldnīt resist even though I had no clue what to do with them...

The OB project didnīt turn out very well due to limitations of the listening room so I gave up the whole OB thing and put the drivers in closed boxes instead and was fairly happy with the outcome.
I should mention that my main listening room is a garden shed measuring 3,1 x 3,8 meters...

A couple of months ago I traded some tubes against a pair of Eminence 1" drivers that would fit the EV horns (HR90 to be exact), still not knowing what to do with them.

One late evening a couple of weeks ago I suddenly felt unusually creative and decided to lend an ear to those horns and drivers just to calm my curiosity.
After spending an hour assembling and connecting them with just a simple first order crossover (read: 30uF russian PiO caps) it was time for the moment of truth: would they sound as horrible as I expected?
The answer was a big "no". Obviously nothing below 500Hz or so but what was there sounded smoother than expected and even laying on the floors these horns managed to produce a quite impressive soundstage. Interesting...

The lack of bass was quickly fixed by hooking up a pair of CSS FR125 drivers in aperiodic boxes. As I had no crossover coils at hand so I just tossed a pair of towels over the CSSīs, acting as mechanical lowpass filters...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ev2.jpg (74.0 KB, 1454 views)
Old 14th February 2009, 07:57 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Obviously, those tiny CSS drivers were nowhere near capable of matching the sensitivity of the horns so I decided to move the horns out to the garden shed and hook them up with my 120 litres closed subwoofers.
After a deep dive in the junkbox I found parts to build a pair of simple 6/12dB 580Hz crossovers:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornovan.jpg (87.3 KB, 1357 views)
Old 14th February 2009, 08:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

After a little fiddling with the crossovers this setup actually started to sing:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hornfront.jpg (96.5 KB, 1475 views)
Old 14th February 2009, 08:07 PM   #4
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

...and why not???

fun times indeed

so now what?
Old 14th February 2009, 08:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Where did you get that perforated tile?

Thats some nice helmholtz absorbers.
Old 14th February 2009, 08:10 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

After posting these pictures at hififorum.nu some friendly people contacted me, offering various drivers and stuff that could be useful in a system like this. Before knowing it I was the owner of a pair of JBL 2202H drivers, amongst others.
My 15" subwoofers are doing quite well in the bass department but theyīre a bit "slow" in the upper bass.
Something more dynamic was called for, resulting in a new project:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midbhorn6.jpg (75.1 KB, 1403 views)
Old 14th February 2009, 08:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Where did you get that perforated tile?
Itīs an DIY "Diffsorber" inspired by this:
http://www.rpginc.com/products/badpanel/index.htm
I have several such panels in the garden shed.

The latest pic of the midbass horns, not much work left now:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg midbhorn7.jpg (64.7 KB, 1350 views)
Old 14th February 2009, 08:35 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

The room in question:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uth1.jpg (69.3 KB, 1037 views)
Old 16th February 2009, 08:40 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

With just a few hours of work left before the initial listening test of the midbass horn disaster struck: One of my cats decided to shred the dustcap on one of the JBL2202H drivers into pieces...
Fortunately that driver wasnīt in a very good condition even before the attack which somewhatt lessens my pain...
Old 11th March 2009, 03:25 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

My 40Hz bass horns in progress:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bashorn3.jpg (84.8 KB, 921 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!