Things that go bump in the night...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

My interest in DIY audio stuff reached new levels when me and my GF bought a house last summer.
Before moving out of the apartment I gathered a large pile of stuff that I didn´t want to bring along to our new home, stuff like kVA-sized power transformers and such and let the guys at hififorum.nu know that anyone could come and pick it up for free.
A guy from another town came and took the lot.

A while later, while planning an OB project, the same guy let me know that he had four 15" woofers that I could have for free.
When I went to pick them up he also offered me two large EV mid horns that I couldn´t resist even though I had no clue what to do with them...

The OB project didn´t turn out very well due to limitations of the listening room so I gave up the whole OB thing and put the drivers in closed boxes instead and was fairly happy with the outcome.
I should mention that my main listening room is a garden shed measuring 3,1 x 3,8 meters...:)

A couple of months ago I traded some tubes against a pair of Eminence 1" drivers that would fit the EV horns (HR90 to be exact), still not knowing what to do with them.

One late evening a couple of weeks ago I suddenly felt unusually creative and decided to lend an ear to those horns and drivers just to calm my curiosity.
After spending an hour assembling and connecting them with just a simple first order crossover (read: 30uF russian PiO caps) it was time for the moment of truth: would they sound as horrible as I expected?
The answer was a big "no". Obviously nothing below 500Hz or so but what was there sounded smoother than expected and even laying on the floors these horns managed to produce a quite impressive soundstage. Interesting...

The lack of bass was quickly fixed by hooking up a pair of CSS FR125 drivers in aperiodic boxes. As I had no crossover coils at hand so I just tossed a pair of towels over the CSS´s, acting as mechanical lowpass filters...:bigeyes:

Attachments

• ev2.jpg
    ev2.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,545
Obviously, those tiny CSS drivers were nowhere near capable of matching the sensitivity of the horns so I decided to move the horns out to the garden shed and hook them up with my 120 litres closed subwoofers.
After a deep dive in the junkbox I found parts to build a pair of simple 6/12dB 580Hz crossovers:

Attachments

• hornovan.jpg
    hornovan.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,439
After posting these pictures at hififorum.nu some friendly people contacted me, offering various drivers and stuff that could be useful in a system like this. Before knowing it I was the owner of a pair of JBL 2202H drivers, amongst others.
My 15" subwoofers are doing quite well in the bass department but they´re a bit "slow" in the upper bass.
Something more dynamic was called for, resulting in a new project:

Attachments

• midbhorn6.jpg
    midbhorn6.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,493
With just a few hours of work left before the initial listening test of the midbass horn disaster struck: One of my cats decided to shred the dustcap on one of the JBL2202H drivers into pieces...
Fortunately that driver wasn´t in a very good condition even before the attack which somewhatt lessens my pain...:whazzat:

I love it, especially the ingenious use of beer bottles to dampen resonances!

Was floor-loading of the bass horns part of your design from the beginning? What difference do you think it would make, if the mouths of the bass horns were pointed directly into the room, perpendicular to the floor?

:D

Th bass horns were originally designed (by linnar, www.kensonpro.com) as folded horns that would fit inside a standard wardrobe. After consulting the designer I shortened them from L=340cm to 300cm and rearranged them to load against the floor/corners.
They should probably hang a bit higher from the floor but this position works fairly well, giving a full blast down to 38Hz.
I use Eminence Beta 10 drivers.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.