Heat Induced Pressure in Cabinet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am new to speaker building, so this question may be laughable, but it is stuck in my brain. If I build a sealed enclosure loudspeaker and do a good job of sealing everything, will the temperature rise inside the enclosure during use of the finished speaker give rise to a pressure increase (PV=nRT) that will displace the nominal position of diaphrams of the drivers? If this happened, I would imagine it would cause distortion. Or is it that no speaker is sealed that well?

Thanks for listening.

Tom

yes and no

hello
Lovely question.Inefficent speakers make heat into the box,the air expands,the diaphragms move out,inescapable.You gots to have a leak,but it only needs to be slow.It's been recognized before.
You think,I think,therefore we are.
regards
Max Albin
ps planet10 ditto

tnsguy said:
I am new to speaker building, so this question may be laughable, but it is stuck in my brain. If I build a sealed enclosure loudspeaker and do a good job of sealing everything, will the temperature rise inside the enclosure during use of the finished speaker give rise to a pressure increase (PV=nRT) that will displace the nominal position of diaphrams of the drivers? If this happened, I would imagine it would cause distortion. Or is it that no speaker is sealed that well?

Thanks for listening.

Tom

You shouldnt be making a completely sealed enclosure.
Drill a very small hole in the enclosure to equalise the inside and outside pressure. A small hole wont affect normal running of the speaker. Just an 1/8th of an inch hole would do.

DigitalJunkie said:
Most speakers have a very small leak through the spider and voice coil gap.(edit-Thinking vented pole-pieces here)Sometimes even the (foam) surround can leak a tiny bit.
I'd seal the box up the best I could,and not worry about it -no drilling small holes or anything. :confused:

I use jack sockets on my speaker cabinets and they have quite a large hole in them anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.