Vintage speakers... are they blown?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2009
Hi guys,

I've recently been given a pair of Celestion Ditton 44 Series II speakers. They're quite chunky things, featuring what appears to be a 1inch tweeter, 5inch mid, 8inch woofer and a nice big 10inch sub at the back of the unit.

They're currently paired up with an equally ancient Marantz amplifier and I've noticed that the woofer and sub on one of the speakers is completely silent. I was wondering what you guys thought the problem could be?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I noticed that the "silent" 8inch woofer was a different colour to the other speaker and it turns out that it's a (probably) cheapo RS replacement. Could it be blown?

The speakers are connected to what looks like a crossover unit at the bottom. I can't see any damage to the components, are these known to blow?

Some more pictures for your viewing pleasure :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

If you guys have any experience with fixing these things, I would love to hear from you. These speakers do sound very nice, so it would be criminal to have to sling them! :) Thanks...

hello all to you.
yes the 8in. woofer looks like a rs replacement.
simply check the single speaker (wired off) with the multimeter (a 8 ohm speaker show a coil res round about 6ohm).
if you have no multim. connect it to a (cheap) amp and listen if there is some music......
or do a battery -test: connect a 1,5v cell for a very short time(!) to the speaker terminals...........if there is a bump (or it goes in and out) the speaker should be o. k.
greetings................

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.