Amps for active crossover setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need four to six amps for the above set. I have seen a Yamaha home theatre amp with the required number secondhand. 85 Watts Rms at 0.04% distortion with all channels operating for A$295.00. the other option is chip amps. At this point in time I would prefer not to spend too much on amps and put my money into better speakers. What does anyone think fo the Yamaha option. I know I would have to alter the internals and 6 inputs direct to the power amps and leave all the rest of this receiver disconnected.
jamikl

jamikl said:
What does anyone think fo the Yamaha option. I know I would have to alter the internals and 6 inputs direct to the power amps and leave all the rest of this receiver disconnected.

There is a large number of secondhand 7.1 AV receivers with six multichannel inputs (for DVD players with integrated decoder). If you buy one of them there is absolutely no need to alter any internals. Volume control will work for all channels too. Mine is an Onkyo TX-SR505. I don´t see how I could have built six power amps of the same quality for the money I payed for that receiver.

Rudolf

Thanks for the reply Rudolf. The Yamaha I looked at and which gave me the idea was a receiver. I did not notice that it might have six inputs. I,ll have to have another look at it. Several dealers told me that Onkyo and Yamaha were the better units to look for.
jamikl

Most receivers with 5.1 or 7.1 inputs won't have an amp for the .1 channel so you have either 5 or 7 amplifiers. Using a receiver with 5.1/7.1 inputs for this application is a good idea since it puts the volume control after the crossover, attenuating any noise generated there.

The amps in my Yamaha DSP-A1 sound a bit fuzzy with good tweeters. Not annoying, but definitely noticeable when compared to a my Leach or A-75.

You've found an inexpensive way to get started in active crossovers. With good low distortion drivers you will be more likely to notice an amp's character. Not to discourage you, just pointing out that you'll probably want to upgrade before long.

I've heard good things about the Emotiva line, but haven't heard them myself. They have a 5 channel amp for a bit more than double the receiver you are considering.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the number of channels available.

5 channels would be OK, you could have 2 tweeters, 2 midrange and one bass. (without arguing too much about woofer/subwoofer definitions).

Thought 1 here is that you probably need more power in the bass than in the treble, so 5 (or even 6) equally-powered channels is not ideal. That said, 85W will still provide some bass, particularly if too much extension is not sought.

The other complication is how you are going to derive your bass signal. If you have 2 channels and split them 3 ways for 6 drivers, no problem. Otherwise you have to generate a combined signal somewhere to get the combined bass. Sometimes your TV will do this for you. Even music goes thru my TV.

Some entertainment amplifiers already have an augmented bass channel, e.g. 5 + 1 higher power. In this case, what do you do with the spare regular channel? Course you could leave it unconnected.

As always, you will get better feedback if you provide the model number or a link to the item.

w

Thanks for the replies. I don't know the model number of the receiver and won't be able to get back there for a few days. I would use it with an Ashley pro crossover which does have balanced inputs and outputs but can be used with single input RCA plugs. I know this is not an ideal setup but as suggested it is hopefully an economical way to get started.
jamikl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.