mystery drivers? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2009, 02:05 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default mystery drivers?

mystery driver was a game we used to play where the pilot of a car would go blindfolded while someone else steered the car. VERY SCARY!!! safe, but SCARY as all get out for the driver!!

i found these home made boxes on the curb. the foam surrounds were gone, and i had them replaced because they are quite heavy for small boxes, and heavy generally equals good.
well, they ARE good. the box design is very light in the low end, but these are pretty sweet drivers.

can anyone here identify them, and perhaps suggest a good (awesome, that is) box design for them to live in.

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 13th February 2009, 02:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello dukeoyork, I can't quite tell from the pics what the woofer may be, but the tweeter looks like a Philips soft dome. They made variations on this tweeter in soft dome and mylar dome from the seventies into the nineties. I own multiples of these tweeters, I like the sound, and a lot of good quality speaker manufacturers did also. Mcintosh, Bang & Olefson are two that come to mind. If you can remove the drivers from the cabinets and show any markings on the back of the tweeters and woofers people will be able to help further.

Peace,

Dave
Old 13th February 2009, 06:38 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

oh, yeah. i thought i should qualify why i don't just pull them out and look at the back of the driver for text.
it's 'cause they were pretty much not made for taking apart. i think the wood screws might not go back in so tight if i pull them out too often. i just want to disassemble them once.
Old 13th February 2009, 06:38 AM   #4
walsn is offline walsn  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

The tweeter faceplate looks like some old good Philips tweeters.
If you take a look at the backplate there shuold be a code with the model ( maybe ad 0160/t , depends on the model) Not familiar with the woofer. Luck
Old 13th February 2009, 06:38 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

thanks fer your input, dave.
philips, eh?
phi lips.

GOOD NAME!!!

never saw it before.

i'm thinking a snail shell might make an awesome tweeter horn/wave guide.

thoughts?
Old 13th February 2009, 11:41 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I agree, this looks definitely like an old Philips tweeter. And i don't know what woofer this is either.

.......... this may not help you a lot though !!!

Regards

Charles
Old 13th February 2009, 04:37 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

it's just that they sound REALLY good. they separate triangles from wind chimes and guitar pick from mandolin pick and other such high end whatnot without soundy metallic or thin. i just wondered if they were 'famous'. it appears they kinda are, and i appreciate the comments.
the woofer, whatever it is, is also very nice and goes quite deep tightly when you crank a lot of juice into it. and, they sound 'papery', which i like more than 'plasticky'. i think if i 'just' popped these into a nice box design, they would really shine.
the boxes they are in are cubes that are meant to stand on end, like a 'diamond' instead of a 'square'. maybe they are meant to work with a sub.
the builder even bothered to put fuses in them, so it seems a lot of care went into the design.

Hide this!Advertise here!