mystery drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
mystery driver was a game we used to play where the pilot of a car would go blindfolded while someone else steered the car. VERY SCARY!!! safe, but SCARY as all get out for the driver!!

i found these home made boxes on the curb. the foam surrounds were gone, and i had them replaced because they are quite heavy for small boxes, and heavy generally equals good.
well, they ARE good. the box design is very light in the low end, but these are pretty sweet drivers.

can anyone here identify them, and perhaps suggest a good (awesome, that is) box design for them to live in.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello dukeoyork, I can't quite tell from the pics what the woofer may be, but the tweeter looks like a Philips soft dome. They made variations on this tweeter in soft dome and mylar dome from the seventies into the nineties. I own multiples of these tweeters, I like the sound, and a lot of good quality speaker manufacturers did also. Mcintosh, Bang & Olefson are two that come to mind. If you can remove the drivers from the cabinets and show any markings on the back of the tweeters and woofers people will be able to help further.

Peace,

Dave

oh, yeah. i thought i should qualify why i don't just pull them out and look at the back of the driver for text.
it's 'cause they were pretty much not made for taking apart. i think the wood screws might not go back in so tight if i pull them out too often. i just want to disassemble them once.

it's just that they sound REALLY good. they separate triangles from wind chimes and guitar pick from mandolin pick and other such high end whatnot without soundy metallic or thin. i just wondered if they were 'famous'. it appears they kinda are, and i appreciate the comments.
the woofer, whatever it is, is also very nice and goes quite deep tightly when you crank a lot of juice into it. and, they sound 'papery', which i like more than 'plasticky'. i think if i 'just' popped these into a nice box design, they would really shine.
the boxes they are in are cubes that are meant to stand on end, like a 'diamond' instead of a 'square'. maybe they are meant to work with a sub.
the builder even bothered to put fuses in them, so it seems a lot of care went into the design.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.