15" Stromberg Carlson Custom 400 specs? Info? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2009, 05:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 15" Stromberg Carlson Custom 400 specs? Info?

I just picked up a 15" Stromberg Carlson Custom 400 wide range speaker. It appears to be a coax and there is a capacitor mounted to the frame near the spider. there is also a plug on the side that i would bet is for an attenuator but i did not get that part.

Anyone have any info on these or websites?? I couldn't find much on Google.

Man i wish i had a pair of these! They are very cool!

I need to figure out the wiring of the HF unit and the plug on the side and what not...
Old 11th February 2009, 07:44 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 12th February 2009, 04:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

i figured SOMEBODY would know something about these???
Old 13th February 2009, 12:53 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I Finally found some info!!! This is a 1950's S-C Model RF-465 speaker. the number stamped on the cone I believe indicates 1955. I found a brochure from 57 that has this speaker listed with the following info:

15" Speaker Model RF-465
The "Omega M" Speaker is our supreme offering to you who know quality when you hear it...and are not immune to a bargain when you see it. Advanced engineering has gone into the perfection of this wonder of hi-fi, enabling Stromberg-Carlson to produce a superior high-fidelity speaker below the cost...but above the performance of competition.

General Specifications
True coaxial speaker system with "Omega M-Voice Ring" horn loaded 2-1/2" Tweeter and separate 15" low frequency woofer...Moisture resistant cone...Frequency Response; 30 to 20,000cps...Power-Handling capacity: 35 watts of program material...Better than 90 degrees angle of coverage...Brilliance control provides variable control of high-frequency response. Engineered to match perfectly any type of enclosure suitable for use with a 15" speaker. Total magnetic flux at voice-coils is 20,000 gauss. Medium efficiency but extreme range.

http://www.audiophool.cjb.net/Misc/stromberg_57.djvu
Old 13th February 2009, 01:26 PM   #5
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Interesting! Wasn't aware of this site, thanks! I'll have to install the viewer though. My S-C driver experience is limited to the Slimline 15" co-ax. I'm surprised Freddy didn't respond, he's a wealth of vintage info, so give him a jingle: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/membe...o&userid=50859

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!