left/center/right in limited space

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,

I'd like to solicit some advice regarding a home theater setup and build.

Background: My TV is a DLP that fills a "cubby hole" that is built in to my family room. Because of the design of this cubby hole, I have room for a 48W x 6H x 4D speaker right above the TV. Room size is about 12'x14'.

There is also a large shelf above the TV (maybe 16" above top of set) which could be used for speakers. There is no room for floor standing speakers.

Rear/surround wiring is already in the ceiling, so placement of those speakers is somewhat fixed. I will be using a sub.

I realize that this is not ideal, but it is what I'm stuck with.

My ideas:
1) L/C/R sound bar (48" x 6" x 4" depth);

2) center channel speaker directly above TV, left and right bookshelfs on shelf 16" above top of TV;

3) all three of L/C/R on shelf. I think the center channel is supposed to be close to the TV, so this doesn't seem like a great plan. Not sure about L/R though as this is my first HT setup.

As for cost, I'm OK with spending <$200 on the drivers/crossovers for the five speakers, something like 5x Dayton RS100s-8 with high-pass network(s).

Thanks in advance,

Barry

GM

Joined 2003
Greets!

It really depends on how close you sit and the screen's width, so if you sit at the recommended 1.5 x screen width, then the speaker bar is viable, but at somewhat longer distances a wider spread of the speakers is essential, so larger, more powerful speakers with their HF drivers at the speaker's bottom front and angled down from the shelf should be better overall.

GM

GM,

Thanks for the quick reply! Yours is the type of reply I was hoping to get in that it will help me keep my expectations realistic given the space (and money) constraints that I have.

50" screen, we sit about 10' away.

If I knew where my camera was I'd take a picture, but suffice it to say that I am unable to go to the left very far (TV is closer to one side wall than the other).

Your point about directing the HF from a bookshelf speaker down towards the listener(s) is a good one.

Barry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.