woofers in India cont.......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sumit,

you are the King of Speaker DIY'ers.

You took it to a level most of us wouldn't even dare to dream of and further than 95% of manufacturers!

Thanks guys.... but I am no king buddy... just another fanatic trying to make something for the others of my type ;-)

just a small fyi... am trying to make a 1" titanium dome tweeter now a days... with neo magnet... as quality tweeters are expensive and diff to get in India.....

Last edited:
Thanks guys.... but I am no king buddy... just another fanatic trying to make something for the others of my type ;-)

just a small fyi... am trying to make a 1" titanium dome tweeter now a days... with neo magnet... as quality tweeters are expensive and diff to get in India.....

Sumit, wow! most us are happy if we can build a speaker using drivers available from Madisound, Solen, Zalytron, etc... but you go the whole hog.

BTW Neo magnets are going to be very very expensive for a few years now. Prices shot up 6x from their prices last year.

Precious metals or rare metals in 2011?

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/rare-earth-metal-prices-go-parabolic

Telll us a little about the neo front magnet assembly. It looks like something to deal with front fringing field? Any impact on sensitivity or just for distortion? I see the very large gap between the front added plate and the coil. Also, what do you think you pick up from the copper pole cap?

David S.

" BTW Neo magnets are going to be very very expensive for a few years now. Prices shot up 6x from their prices last year. " well price is a thing which I do keep in mind but its not on the top of my list..... but u know i won't buy a morel or a scan speak for $150 rather will spend $200 on my R&Dand run around form machining work shops to electroplating to scrap yards....and being a fanatic...its what I tend to enjoi.... a lot.

And about neo mags...let me tell u ... there are a few places where one can buy Neo magnets at throw away prices... rejected magnets for medical equipments ( lots rejected due to diff reasons...like colour of coating changed, very minnor chipping, size not met, odd size shipped in etc etc... ). Happen to know a few junk dealers...:)

Telll us a little about the neo front magnet assembly. It looks like something to deal with front fringing field? Any impact on sensitivity or just for distortion? I see the very large gap between the front added plate and the coil. Also, what do you think you pick up from the copper pole cap?

David S.

Will post some image tomorrow and explain the neo design.

" I see the very large gap between the front added plate and the coil. " which driver are you talking about?

" Also, what do you think you pick up from the copper pole cap?
" The copper on top is not a pole cap. Its inserted inside the pole piece in order to stabilize the magnetic circuit. It reduced modulation of the field near the voice coil...and also acts as a heat sink.

David S.

With the image now I think its clear how the mag assembly is done. The image only shows 4 magnets for now as i am in measurment phase..... it will finally have 6 of those big ones and 4 to 5 of those small ones, depending on the TS i need..... main purpose of the neo is to creat a uniform magnetic field around the pole which a moderate grade ferrite can't create...well in theory at least.

Attachments

• 100_1015.jpg
    100_1015.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_1016.jpg
    100_1016.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1017.JPG
    100_1017.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 121
With the image now I think its clear how the mag assembly is done. The image only shows 4 magnets for now as i am in measurment phase..... it will finally have 6 of those big ones and 4 to 5 of those small ones, depending on the TS i need..... main purpose of the neo is to creat a uniform magnetic field around the pole which a moderate grade ferrite can't create...well in theory at least.

Sumit,

I intend to make the following speakers for 2 systems that will do both music and surround sound duty in 2011-12.

1. 4 nos.
3 way tower having dimensions of about 42-46" H, 11-12" W, and 16-17" D.
The tower will have a woofer section which will contain 2 push-push woofers (a la Audio Physic Virgo/Tempo and Morel Octave Signature) in say 50-60 liters mated to a 5" 2 way in about 7 liters.
[audio physic] - no loss of fine detail
Morel Loudspeakers - Home Audio - Octave Signature Audiophile Speakers - Octave Signature Floorstanding

The object is to use about 1 octave (150-300Hz) of the upper bass output of the bass section to partially compensate for baffle step.

If this is not feasable I would consider mabe a MMT configuration for the these towers like the Audio Physic Avanti/Avantera.
[audio physic] - no loss of fine detail

2. 10 nos.
5" 2 way under 7 liters. This will be used for rear/surround use.

3. 2 Nos
5" 2 way MTM in 14-15 liters for center channel.

For this I will need the follwoing:

9/10" woofers: 4 Nos.
5" midbass: 18 Nos (22 Nos if I consider a Avanti/Avantera like design)
dome/planar tweeter: 16 Nos.

I have been considering drivers from
SB Acoustics (sadly they do not have a 5" version of their Satori midbass yet),

Morel CAW 938, ECW 536 + ET448
http://morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Woofers/CAW/Specs sheet CAW 938.pdf
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Woofers/EW/Specs sheet ECW 536.pdf
http://www.morelhifi.com/products/pdf/Tweeters/ET/Specs sheet ET448.pdf

Wavecor (Balanced drive - WF152/04 - is easily available but their Neo Magnet drivers - WF138/03 - are not),

Peerless (Platinum/NE line).

and lastly the B&G Neo 3 tweeter (instead of using a dome tweeter from Morel/Wavecor/Peerless/SB).

If you can supply me with drivers that are equal or better than Peerless NE (or Wavecor's Neo Magnet) I would gladly consider purchasing drivers from you.

Right now what I am looking at is:

Tweeter: B&G Neo 3, Morel ET448 or Peerless NE25VTT
Midbass: Peerless NE149W/8, Morel ECW 536 or Wavecor WF138/152
Woofer: Morel CAW 938

" but not sure whether I can match the price...." What i meant was mine would be lower... ;-)

The mids and woofer can be at par or better than peerless...... but not sure whether I can match the price....

I will PM you on this after some analysis.

Sumit, when you are ready please PM me.

My current option is to get the parts from Parts Express.

What I need is a very good tweeter, 5" mid and 9-10" woofer that will work in about 30 liters.

My current options are:
Tweeter: B&G Neo 3
Midwoofer: Peerless NE149W or Wavecor WF138 or 152 Balanced Drive.
Woofer: SB Acoustics SB29NRX75-6 or Usher 1001B woofers.

For the Woofer the T/S specs are available from SB Acoustics or Parts Express.

If all else fails and I cannot get a decent crossover design going plan B will be a all Morel system using
2 Morel CAW938 woofers
1 Morel ECW 536
1 Morel ET448

My current tweeters are ScanSpeak 9900 and 9500 and I am expecting great things from the Neo 3 (based on feedback from some of my friends from Europe). The new Morel Elite tweeters (338 and 448) are also very good and draw from Morel's experience with the Surpeme tweeters.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.