My TL/Bi-Amped Powered Speaker Project - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2009, 12:12 AM   #11
Nedrex is offline Nedrex  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

that's what i like ... a guy who just knows he is going to become an addict

dave

Ha! Yeah.... well, I'm afraid it's a bit too late for that. I've been designing and building speakers since I was a teenager (28 now). So I'm already hooked... I was just in remission for a while, this little project is my return to the art. And I'm quite glad to be back!

Back OT... does anyone have any thoughts on the early reflections or impedance/output shaping networks? I'm planning on finishing these things up soon and would like to put these two things to bed (if only in my mind) before it's all buttoned up.
Old 11th February 2009, 04:48 AM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedrex
... does anyone have any thoughts on the early reflections or impedance/output shaping networks?
Relections -- internal & external -- are best dealt with at the source.

Probably the most commonly used response shaping filters are forbaffle step.

I personally try to avoid them as much as possible, but they can be useful.

dave
Old 15th February 2009, 12:05 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

I see, so it sounds like you're telling me that if I plan on doing anything about issues with early reflections (if they arrive) I should handle it with DSP processing? Is that what you meant by the source? Or do you mean I should deal with it by altering the placement of the tweeter?

What would you gauge as "more important": time-aligning the drivers, or placing the tweeter so as to avoid early reflections as much as possible? Choosing the second option will place the tweeters acoustic center about 2.5 - 4.5 cm in front of the woofers.
Old 15th February 2009, 01:04 AM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Nedrex
I see, so it sounds like you're telling me that if I plan on doing anything about issues with early reflections (if they arrive) I should handle it with DSP processing? Is that what you meant by the source? Or do you mean I should deal with it by altering the placement of the tweeter?
DSP can't do anything about an early reflection. Inside a speaker you deal with it using damping (and maybe some subtler tricks) ... same with external refletions.

Quote:
What would you gauge as "more important": time-aligning the drivers, or placing the tweeter so as to avoid early reflections as much as possible?
I don't have to deal with the former, i abandoned traditional multiways a long time ago...

dave
Old 18th February 2009, 01:08 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thumbs up Update...

Hey all! Got a good amount of work done this weekend:

- Holes were drilled to countersink the magnets that will hold the grill up.

- Front, top and rear veneer was installed, trimmed, sanded and stained.

Hmm, doesn't really sound like a good amount of work when you put it that way, does it? Well, whatever it was the cabinets look fantastic. All that's left to do is rattle can the sides, install the amps, woofers and tweeters, and make up the grills. Shouldn't be too bad.

In any case, enjoy the visual aides below. As always: questions, comments or constructive criticisms are welcome!

Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!