Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th February 2009, 08:55 PM   #1
Ryan_Mc is offline Ryan_Mc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Zaph's 'all metal system' questions

I'm close to pulling the trigger to order the parts for Zaph's all metal system but have a few questions first...

1.) I see these are very nearly the same as his SR71's, Which version is better and what are the differences?

2.) Instead of placing these speakers on stands I was going to make 10" speaker boxes to set them on, to give the system more oomph down low. The plan is to make the monitor boxes sealed (~8L) and put the H1209's in a sealed box as well (~40L). They match the rest of the system cosmetically (assuming I make the "all metal system"). In doing research I see a few people really like these in sealed boxes.

3.) the monitors will be bi-amped with the subs so the crossovers will be electronic (~100Hz).

I'd appreciate any input on this before I order all the parts. So...
- does this sound like a reasonable plan?
- any changes you would make?
- am I being an idiot?
Old 8th February 2009, 05:35 PM   #2
wa4swj is offline wa4swj  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Ryan,

I have built a set of L18's and they are very good speakers. I'm not sure why you would want to modify the design. Essentially you would be building a new set of speakers and would need to adjust everything.

I have not built the other set of speakers you mentioned so I can't offer a comparison. I'll just repeat that the L18's are very good and I am quite pleased with them.

A picture is here:

Click the image to open in full size.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you!

Regards,
Old 8th February 2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Ryan_Mc is offline Ryan_Mc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought better about this, like you say it's essentially a 'new' speaker and I'd have to adjust everything and right now that is over my head. I wanted to add the 10" to that set because I didn't think a single 6.5" driver would satisfy me for cranking some hard rock once in a while. I decided to go with his waveguide TMM's, which I have been eyeing for quite some time. They sound closer to what I'm looking for and I don't need to reinvent anything.

I think I'm better off making a design exactly form plans the first time through so I can hopefully learn from that and make more educated decisions for myself in the future.

BTW. nice looking speakers... I gotta learn how to veneer!

Ryan
Old 8th February 2009, 09:50 PM   #4
GOWA is offline GOWA  Canada
diyAudio Member

I agree, this is a sweet soundimg speaker.
Old 8th February 2009, 10:17 PM   #5
widman is offline widman  United States
diyAudio Member

I built the L18s and really enjoy them. They can get loud but you need a husky amplifier to drive them to really high levels. Driven properly, they have plenty of output for my room.

pete
Old 9th February 2009, 03:31 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

I , too am building the all metal 2 way. I'm about 95% done, The box is finished ,the xo are assembled and mounted to the box, the tweeter is mounted as well as the terminals, But I only lack the woofers, Which are also ready to mount as soon as they arrive.

It is generally accepted , But not always true , that metal cone, being much stiffer than paper and plastic , have better bass and midbass reproduction and can handle more power. This is why I choose to build this instead of the sr71, Out of curiousity.

Well, I sure would find out soon.
Old 9th February 2009, 04:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have built both the SR71 and the L18 design. They are both very good speakers, but slightly different. The L18 I think is a little more detailed, and is a little better with rock. The SR71 does better with bottom end (I think) and is a little smoother and less forward. Better for background music than the L18 design. Below are pics of both:

Old 9th February 2009, 11:00 PM   #8
GOWA is offline GOWA  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by s7horton
I have built both the SR71 and the L18 design. They are both very good speakers, but slightly different. The L18 I think is a little more detailed, and is a little better with rock. The SR71 does better with bottom end (I think) and is a little smoother and less forward. Better for background music than the L18 design. Below are pics of both:

I'm surprised that you say the SR71 has better bottom end. The L18 is very solid down low and I certainly don't find them to be forward. This is a very good design for sure.
Old 10th February 2009, 03:19 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Wow , Those are very nice looking speakers, Truely high end lookind, I wish I had a wood finishing skills like yours.

I made my Own box on my L18/tbfcg too, THough my wood working skill is good, The finish is paint and dont look even remotely good as yours, The color of the box on my L18/Tbfcg is deliberately irritating orange. Will post pics on these board as soon as it is done.
Old 10th February 2009, 04:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

For what it's worth, I never did say which I liked better. I like the L18 design better. So, although my use of the word forward was taken as negative, it isn't. I prefer that over the SR71.

Hide this!Advertise here!